Translating a black blob and other things?
Thread poster: inesventu
Oct 5, 2011

Hello everyone,
So, I'm doing very well with my translations, thank you for your help so far. Now I've encountered something new to me.

Question 1: In a hand filled-out marriage certificate the word Salem sits right next to a previous word that the person crossed out completely, so now it's a black blob, what do I do about that? [illegible black blob] ha, ha, seriously not sure what to do?

Question 2: What do I do when something is partially legible, you know? when you can make out half of it, wether it's a signature or a stamp or anything?

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:23
German to English
Translator's note Oct 5, 2011

It's not unusual to insert translator's notes into translations of handwritten and other documents. [Tr.: illegible/crossed-out, etc.] or [Tr.: partially legible "financial ..."?]

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:23
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Textbooks Oct 6, 2011

There are textbooks on translation available that would provide this information.

[Edited at 2011-10-07 00:09 GMT]

inesventu
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks & What's a good book? Oct 7, 2011

Hi,
Kevin: Thanks Kevin for your very useful advice I was really pressed for time so I'm glad you responded.

Jeff: Could you give me any idea on what is a good book? I would love to have one! What I have didn't answer my questions and It would be really helpful if you knew of a tried and true source. Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a black blob and other things?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search