Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:03
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 6, 2011

Hi everyone!

I am afraid this may be a silly question, but I need to know what a TAC review is.
I've been a freelancer since 2007 and I hadn't been asked for (nor had heard about) a TAC review so far.
I am not familiar with this acronym. I have searched the web, but I didn't find anything useful.
There is an overwhelming number if definitions in http://www.acronymfinder.com/TAC.html, but I couldn't figure out which one could match this request:
"We have an urgent project in need of your TAC review. The total words are 4205 and we’d like to issue you 2 hours PO."

I wasn't available to take this anyway, but I don't know what they are asking for. What kind of review is this?
I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:03
English to German
+ ...
Which reminds me... Oct 6, 2011

...of a recent inquiry that read pretty much like this:

"Are you available to carry out an LQA? Deadline is tomorrow EOB. Please find attached the LOC kit, including SOW. Please forward your QA to [first name, last name] for IQC.
Thank you!"

I am not making this up.

BTW (ha! acronym!), I don't know either what TAC means.

Edited for typo

[Edited at 2011-10-06 15:07 GMT]

Helen Zinni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:03
English to Italian
+ ...
Translation Accuracy Check Oct 6, 2011

Hi Laura,

TAC stands for Translation Accuracy Check.

Hope this helps,
Helen

TargamaT  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 19:03
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TAC Oct 6, 2011

TAC=translation and communication

Good review!

Donatella Semproni  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TAC Oct 6, 2011

Don't know exactly, but I was recently asked to make a Translation Assessment job, and my PO was for 1 hour.

HTH (acronym, again)

Donatella

Uruguay
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
could you provide more details? Oct 6, 2011

thank you all!
and then again.... what is this translation accuracy check or translation assessment? Do you have to edit the translation, underline errors or submit a report assessing the quality of the translation? Or is there any other standard procedure?
I mean, how thoroughly can I review 4200 words in 2 hours?

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TAC Oct 6, 2011

what is this translation accuracy check or translation assessment? Do you have to edit the translation, underline errors or submit a report assessing the quality of the translation? Or is there any other standard procedure?

It is an exhaustive review to ensure that the translation perfectly mirrors the original text, and is terminologically consistent and grammatically correct.

I usually perform TAC reviews on PDF files, adding comments about the changes to implement and the type of error (grammar, syntax, terminology) and if it is a minor or major error. I also send a general assessment in the body of the e-mail when delivering the files.

Some agencies may have their own process or form, though. AFAIK, there is no standard procedure.

Uruguay
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you, Helen Oct 6, 2011

I understand, thank you. Just one more question: could you tell me if you charge these reviews per hour or per word? And how many words (on average) do you review in an hour?

Thank you for your time and support.

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Per hour Oct 6, 2011

I charge per hour.

The time spent depends of course on the quality of the translation. Most of the times, my clients send me TAC requests when I could not accept the translation because I was too busy and the project is for an end client whose texts (style, preferential terms, etc.) I know very well (i.e., I have my TMs, my glossaries and I am very familiar with the subject).

In these cases, I can review up to 1000-1500 words/hour, but when the translation is bad/not accurate/inconsistent with previous projects, I can even spend more than 2 hours on a 1000-word file... I suggest that you start the review to assess the general quality of the text and let the client know should you find any major issues or need more time (or an updated PO).

Good luck!

Uruguay
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks again! Oct 6, 2011

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your support.
I hope I can assist you some time!
Best regards,
Laura

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:03
English to Japanese
+ ...
Simple Question Oct 6, 2011

Laura Bissio CT wrote:

Hi everyone!

I am afraid this may be a silly question, but I need to know what a TAC review is.
I've been a freelancer since 2007 and I hadn't been asked for (nor had heard about) a TAC review so far.
I am not familiar with this acronym. I have searched the web, but I didn't find anything useful.
There is an overwhelming number if definitions in http://www.acronymfinder.com/TAC.html, but I couldn't figure out which one could match this request:
"We have an urgent project in need of your TAC review. The total words are 4205 and we’d like to issue you 2 hours PO."

I wasn't available to take this anyway, but I don't know what they are asking for. What kind of review is this?
I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thank you.

Why don't you just ask the sender who sent you this message full of acronyms? Nothing to be embarassed about asking these type of questions in the first place. I always ask or confirm if my understanding is correct or not whenever my client talks in riddles.

Uruguay
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you are right, but... Oct 6, 2011

Yasutomo, you are right, there is nothing to be embarrassed of, but as I said, I wasn't available today for any job, so I just politely refused it. Maybe I am wrong, but I didn't find it proper to ask further questions about a job I wasn't going to take anyway.
I started this thread afterwards, just is case I receive something similar in the future.

Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
TAC Oct 7, 2011

[Edited at 2011-10-07 08:16 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a TAC review?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search