Translating Spanish Laws and Abbreviations
Thread poster: pkanji
pkanji
Spanish to English
Oct 19, 2011

Hello all,

I am wondering if you can help me.

I a currently doing a translation for my thesis, it is a judgment which contains same sources of Spanish law.

If a law is unique to spain and no official trans can be found is it best to retain the Spanish ?

although I know of translators who do translate law into English with a footnote, for example

Organic Law governing judiciary plus footnote ?

or La Ley Orgánica del Poder Judicial with a footnote?

The problem is other legal acts can be translated directly as concept is similar to UK and reader will understand. Moreover, the SL also includes abbreviations throughout, some of which are used before the full title i,e

CE the Constitucion espanola

There are no official translations of abbreviations which should be retained, but can anybody explain why exactly if the title can be translated?

I thought that it might be best to compile a list of abbreviations in a glossary so the reader is aware to which laws they refer...this would avoid clutter and confusion in trying to explain this in the TL

The trans would serve as a source of information, would not be read by a lay person as it serves as a foreign judgment and so the reader may be aware of some of the concepts, but not all.

This is where I am getting slightly confused and perhaps over thinking this.

Any help would be appreciated and if anybody knows of any resources where I might find official translations or abbreviations etc that would be useful too.

Thanks all

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Spanish Laws and Abbreviations

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search