https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/210400-tms_from_clients.html

TMs from Clients
Thread poster: Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 05:59
Member (2011)
English to German
Oct 22, 2011

Dear Colleagues,

Most recently, a client has sent me an urgent translation together with a TM, which wasn’t very helpful.

After I returned my translation to the client, he asked for the updated TM he had sent me.

My question: Is this a standard procedure or do you, since editing a TM does take quite a time, charge extra for such a service?

Best regards,

Marina

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:59
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TM updates automatically Oct 22, 2011

If you use the tm during translation, it will update in the process. Just make sure that all changes you apply to the translation are also realised in the tm, by opening and closing the segment or cleanup, depending on the tool you use.
Just return the tm. The time-stamp shows, when it was changed.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Simply clean your file against his TM Oct 22, 2011

Marina Steinbach wrote:
Most recently, a client has sent me an urgent translation together with a TM, which wasn’t very helpful. After I returned my translation to the client, he asked for the updated TM he had sent me.

If you did your translation in your CAT tool, then simply load the client's TM and then clean your bilingual file against the client's TM. The TM will then be updated automatically. An updated TM is a natural byproduct of a CAT translation task, so I don't think one should try to charge extra for it.

If you didn't use CAT, tell the client that you would have to align the translation in order to give him an updated TM, which you should charge for (if it takes you a lot of time to do).

Daniel Grau
Daniel Grau  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
I never give them away Oct 22, 2011

An updated TM is a natural byproduct of a CAT translation task, so I don't think one should try to charge extra for it.

Samuel, after I've worked with a given memory for a couple of months, I'll have entered many client preferences and global changes, as well as my own corrections. Furthermore, I usually add extra TM units with reference material sent by the client. My clients do not pay for such tasks, but I do them to increase the quality and consistency o
... See more
An updated TM is a natural byproduct of a CAT translation task, so I don't think one should try to charge extra for it.

Samuel, after I've worked with a given memory for a couple of months, I'll have entered many client preferences and global changes, as well as my own corrections. Furthermore, I usually add extra TM units with reference material sent by the client. My clients do not pay for such tasks, but I do them to increase the quality and consistency of my translations. I'm not willing to give that up for free. In fact, whenever clients have requested such a favor, I've told them that I combine my TMs by subject and that their own TM is part of a larger whole containing units from other clients, which is often true. Thus, I'm not at liberty to send them a copy.

However, if they request unclean files, they'll get them, just as long as they don't ask for them several weeks down the road, as "I don't keep unclean files because they take up too much disk space."

One could argue that updating a TM helps me conserve a client, and that is so, but if I was ever to loose the client—as we know happens, particularly when agencies get bought by larger ones—, I really don't care for them to have a current TM.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
One-job TM and lots-of-jobs-TM Oct 22, 2011

Daniel Grau wrote:
Samuel wrote:

After I've worked with a given memory for a couple of months, I'll have entered many client preferences and global changes, as well as my own corrections. Furthermore, I usually add extra TM units with reference material sent by the client.

In such a case I would actually advise against sending the "dirty" TM to the client, because the client likely wants only your translation added to the TM, and nothing else. If your chosen TM workflow pollutes the TM with additional content that is not simply the translated portion of the file you translated, then you should keep that to yourself.

But if the client supplies a TM before the start of a job, and then requests the updated TM afterwards, then it is not difficult to provide it... if your CAT tool system supports it. For CAT tools that work with bilingual files, simply load the original TM (attached to the original e-mail from your client) and "clean" the bilingual files. For CAT tools that generate an export TM that contains only the segments of the target files, simply merge that TM with the client's original TM (or send him the export TM with a note that he can merge it himself).

I do realise, however, that some CAT tools don't have functionality for doing this afterwards -- if the translator didn't take care initially, there is no way he can create a tidy updated TM afterwards.

However, if they request unclean files, they'll get them, just as long as they don't ask for them several weeks down the road, as "I don't keep unclean files because they take up too much disk space."

Get more disk space I have all the uncleaned files and all the reference files that I have ever created or received from clients (except for clients that request deletion) plus all the e-mails and their attachments from the past 5 years right here on my computer, with most of it non-zipped (though I do delete certain types of space hoggers, like MP3 files from transcription clients).

One could argue that updating a TM helps me conserve a client, and that is so, but if I was ever to loose the client—as we know happens, particularly when agencies get bought by larger ones—, I really don't care for them to have a current TM. [/quote]

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I must be doing something fundamentally wrong :-( Oct 22, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

For CAT tools that work with bilingual files, simply load the original TM (attached to the original e-mail from your client) and "clean" the bilingual files. For CAT tools that generate an export TM that contains only the segments of the target files, simply merge that TM with the client's original TM (or send him the export TM with a note that he can merge it himself).

I am working with the German version of SDL Trados Suite 2011 and must be doing something fundamentally wrong. Perhaps I didn’t learn how to "clean" a bilingual document in the webinar for beginners, hm? At least I can't remember having done this before.

Well, I usually open the client's file, e.g. a MS Word file, with Trados and specify the TM, translate the text and then save the target text for my client. The TM is really doing nothing for me. Where in this process am I leaving out my "cleaning assignment"?

In the meantime, I have made my first attempts to create and populate a termbase with MultiTerm. Although it is a rather time-consuming task to fill the termbase with the appropriate data, it does submit proposals afterwards. Should I send my client the multilingual termbase instead of the TM?

[Edited at 2011-10-22 18:48 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Trados 2011 Oct 22, 2011

Marina Steinbach wrote:
I am working with the German version of SDL Trados Suite 2011 and must be doing something fundamentally wrong.

Other than using the wrong CAT tool?

Perhaps the folks over at the Trados forum can tell you how to update a client's TM with the translation from a translated file.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 22, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Perhaps the folks over at the Trados forum can tell you how to update a client's TM with the translation from a translated file.

I have just posted my question in the Trados forum.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:59
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Termbase no Oct 23, 2011

Unless it was agreed upon you do not send your own termbase to the client. You could sell it however. Usually a termbase should be sent to you at the start of a project, and if you add more entries these should be affirmed by the client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TMs from Clients

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »