Thread poster: Will Masters
Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 20:12
Member (2003)
French to English
I would not work with them again Nov 14, 2011

Just start responding to any of their "offers" by saying that you are unavailable.

No, it's not normal, and I can't think of any good explanation for it. So if it were me, I'd just move on and not work with them again. I find that I have less and less time for nonsense, and sometimes it's best just to move on.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 20:12
Member (2003)
French to English
Good that you have already turned down work from them Nov 14, 2011

Will Masters wrote:

I have, since posting the initial post, had a smaller offer from them again offering me another translation, which I have turned down on the grounds (which I have respectfully explained in my response email to them) that AGAIN, no information about deadlines or about the text have been provided. They may think what they like, but the bottom line is I'm not about to waste my time or theirs in sending more emails back and forth to resolve an issue that in theory shouldn't be arising to begin with.

Good. They are probably not worth your while. You obviously care about quality in your work, and don't want to get stuck with a text that you otherwise would not have accepted had you had the chance to even see it!

chris durban
chris durban
Local time: 02:12
French to English
This is why you should be laying the groundwork for a portfolio of direct clients Nov 14, 2011

Will, I agree 100% with comments about these folks not being worth your while.
To be sure, it's always easier to strike someone from your client portfolio if you have others to bump up into their place.
But any way you look at it, I figure you should be getting a strategy in place for building a practice based on serious, organized clients. Direct clients, why not?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

messing about from agencies?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »