Margreet Mohle  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:41
Member (2010)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 15, 2011

Hello all!

I've been asked to submit a price for a translation of a collection of "inspirational quotes and proverbs". Now of course, I know that when faced with a quote, one should always first find out if the author has been translated into your language before and use the translation from that work.
From what I can see from the sample pages, though, these quotes are single sentences, identified only by their author. Am I wrong to assume that in this case, I can translate them myself, since trying to find them back without a full reference would be near to impossible (OK, I'll try a quick google...).

BTW I am OK with the proverb part, having dealt with that in earlier research.

Just want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for something that might turn into a nightmare.

Thanks for your advice.

Margreet

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
DIY Nov 15, 2011

Margreet Mohle wrote:
... I know that when faced with a quote, one should always first find out if the author has been translated into your language before and use the translation from that work.
... Am I wrong to assume that in this case, I can translate them myself ...

Just want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for something that might turn into a nightmare.

Thanks for your advice.

Margreet

Joshua Pepper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:41
French to English
+ ...
Copyright issues Nov 16, 2011

Wouldn't copyright be an issue if you essentially "copy" the work of other translators?
From that perspective you would be legally obliged to do it yourself.

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
No copyright problem Nov 16, 2011

Brief quotations are usually within one of the excpetions to copyright. After all, if this were not so, the original text would also be a breach of copyright

Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
explain issue to customer Nov 16, 2011

Hello Margreet,
You ought to charge by the hour for this type of work and make sure that the client understands why. It is simply not possible to accurately estimate how much time you will need. Give an estimate and get back to the client immediately if it becomes clear that you are going to come out more than +/- 10% outside the range of the estimate.

You would be surprised how helpful Google is with just an author's name and a string of three or four distinctive words that can be translated more or less 1:1. With an E-Bible you could probably find most biblical passages in a matter of seconds (make sure you agree on a version of the Bible).

Sincerely,
Michael

Margreet Mohle  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:41
Member (2010)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 16, 2011

Thank you all for your advice.

@David and Joshua: I had not even considered copyright, in longer translation quotes, you would credit the original translator in a foot note. But yes, the problem would be the same for the original.

@Matthew: I had to submit the price yesterday...hope I'm not burning myself. Next time (if there will be one) I'll certainly consider charging by the hour; I did give a price range, which I explained exactly because of the difficulty to estimate the amount of work.

Margreet

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of "quotes" without full source

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search