https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/21572-how_can_i_know_the_repetition_percentage_between_and_within_some_files.html

How can I know the repetition percentage between and within some files?
Thread poster: Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 28, 2004

Hello everybody.

I'm trying to analyse some documents (.DOC format) that are pretty similar between them. I'd say some 40% of the sentences are 90% identical to one another, but just one term changes. eg: One sentence reads "Mary does love kids with lemon scent and clean teeth" and in other document the sentence is "John does love kids with lemon scent and clean teeth" (this examples are not taken from the real text I need to translate, by the way).

Now, my query is as
... See more
Hello everybody.

I'm trying to analyse some documents (.DOC format) that are pretty similar between them. I'd say some 40% of the sentences are 90% identical to one another, but just one term changes. eg: One sentence reads "Mary does love kids with lemon scent and clean teeth" and in other document the sentence is "John does love kids with lemon scent and clean teeth" (this examples are not taken from the real text I need to translate, by the way).

Now, my query is as follows: how can I manage to find out that 90% similarity? I've tried Trados' "Analyse" function, but it only gives me the Repetitions and the No match. (Obviously, none of the documents I need to translate was previously translated using Trados.)

Is there any software that can do this for me? Or, even better, is there any way I can do this with Trados?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jerónimo
Collapse

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 10:27
German to Romanian
+ ...
Trados should do it May 28, 2004

Maybe you need to check your setting for the similarity level, because Trados probably takes that into consideration when doing the analysis. Then the various elements should be listed in their corresponding percentage category.

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Try a dummy TM May 28, 2004

If Trados' Analysis function won't get you where you want, you could try creating a TM (containing source>source pairs) from the first file and apply this to the second file.

Or: If you have SDLX, the Analysis module will report cross-file repetitions.

Regards,
Stefan

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Use TM from previous analyse May 28, 2004

If I correctly understood your problem, you could run the analyse on a single file, then check the "Use TM from previous analyse" option in the Trados' Analyse dialog and run the analyse tool for every subsequent file (one file per time). This should give you a good figure of the fuzzies once you have translated the first file and how the fuzzy percentage changes as you proceed with the translation of the other files.

Best
Massimo

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
You could try Plustools May 29, 2004

Hi Jeronimo,

recently I had almost the same problem and managed to find a solution using Plustools, a free plug-in for Word from www.wordfast.net.
Maybe there is an easier way to compare documents but in my case it worked well this way: First I used Plustools to compare the two docs (which had not been translated at all, they were mere texts) which gave a new document containing the differenc
... See more
Hi Jeronimo,

recently I had almost the same problem and managed to find a solution using Plustools, a free plug-in for Word from www.wordfast.net.
Maybe there is an easier way to compare documents but in my case it worked well this way: First I used Plustools to compare the two docs (which had not been translated at all, they were mere texts) which gave a new document containing the differences. Then I analyzed those three docs with wordfast (you may download it from the same website) and got the percentage of all repetitions, including those of the differences.
As wordfast is compatible with Trados perhaps you could use the doc you got with Plustools for comparing with Trados.

Good luck!

Charlotte
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I know the repetition percentage between and within some files?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »