HTML-Tag to be localized?
Thread poster: Noe Tessmann

Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:55
English to German
+ ...
Jun 4, 2004

Dear colleagues,

translating html is not that difficult anymore. But I have one question about the tags. Is it useful to localize them:
in ?
But in my case the html text is in French, but it seems that is has already been translated from Dutch. The tags stayed the same. To be really professional I could change them to German or is there no need to do so?

thanks in advance

Noe

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Yes, it should be localized. Jun 4, 2004

Noe Tessmann wrote:
Is it useful to localize them:
§span lan ="nl-be"$ in $span lan ="de"$ ?
Noe

Yep. Quote from the web:
Identifying language changes on multilingual web pages helps a browser to display text appropriately for that language, and allows access aids such as speech synthesizers and Braille devices to pronounce text using language-appropriate pronunciation rules. (http://bobby.watchfire.com/bobby/html/en/gls/g248.html)

I've seen this tag being used a lot in xml files lately. However, you may want to point out that it's lang, not lan.

Noe Tessmann wrote:
To be really professional I could change them to German or is there no need to do so?

Consider them value added tagsicon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2004-06-04 16:59]

Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
disappeared Jun 4, 2004

didn't show up

Thank you Hermann for your answer. The tags I wanted to quote disappeared. I mean these ones:

§span lang ="nl-be"$ in $span lang ="de"$

Should do a global Search and Replace at the end.

cheers

Noe

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
I might be completly wrong, but Jun 4, 2004

I have never heard that anybody translated the tags in HTML.
The tags such as "html", "Head", "Base", "Link", "Body" etc should never be translated. I did check my german HTML books, I did not find any translated HTML tags. If the tags in your source text already have been translated, I would suggest you contact your customer and ask him, if this is what he wants.

I agree with Klaus completely, however, are we talking about the same thing.

Now that I can see the tags that are concerned, Klaus is right, localize them.
[Edited at 2004-06-04 16:43]

[Edited at 2004-06-04 16:47]

[Edited at 2004-06-04 18:33]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HTML-Tag to be localized?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search