Off topic: Interview with translator David Bellos
Thread poster: Gengo.com

Gengo.com  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:01
English to Japanese
+ ...
Feb 3, 2012

If you're a fan of David Bellos, author of "Is that a Fish in Your Ear? Translation and the Meaning of Everything", then you might be interested in checking out our recent Q&A interview with him currently being featured on myGengo's blog. We asked him questions about his 40+ years of experiences as a translator, his new book and also his insights on the translation industry. http://mygengo.com/about-us/blog/david-bellos/

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:01
Chinese to English
Sounds very sensible Feb 3, 2012

I wasn't a fan of David Bellos, from the book extracts that have been published, but I rather like him in this interview.

"I have only ever really translated books for publishers, so I have no experience of the standards and practices of the industry as a whole." - always good to be clear about what you know and what you don't know!

"What I would like is for smarter machines to free human translators to attend to those many parts of the task that machines cannot perform. What I fear is that the public at large may come to regard translation as a task fit only for machines. What I expect is that machines will allow the demand for translation to carry on growing, and for translation to become an ever more integral part of the world we live in." - This sounds like a much more sensible view than what came through from the hype surrounding the book.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interview with translator David Bellos

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search