Free CAT Software for Students and Classroom Work any ideas?
Thread poster: Vitals

Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 22:56
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Feb 7, 2012

Dear colleagues,

I am in for a Translation Practice teaching course, will teach 3rd year students translation.

I have just come up with an idea of setting them up with some NICE AND FREE CAT tool (there are over 30 of them). We will need to work with many texts (64 hrs of the course), so the trial version of something like WordFast would not work (TMs too limited there in the trial).

Can you offer anythis like this, so that I would not have to install them and try them out myself? (The course starts tomorrow, so I need to hurry up...)

Does any of you, teachers, have any good advice for me on how to work with this? Or any general tips?

Would be grateful for your feedback!

Have a nice day!

VS

Roberto Bertuol  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:56
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
Wordfast Anywhere Feb 7, 2012

Hi,
why don't you try Wordfast Anywhere, provided your students all have internet access in the class. WF Anywhere is free, it does not have any TM limitation, and no installation is required.

Wordfast Anywhere

As an alternative you can try OmegaT.
Hope this helps.

Best
Roberto

robertobertuol.com

[Edited at 2012-02-07 16:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-07 16:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-07 16:40 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Obviously OmegaT, and then Wordfast Feb 7, 2012

Vitals wrote:
I have just come up with an idea of setting them up with some NICE AND FREE CAT tool (there are over 30 of them). We will need to work with many texts (64 hrs of the course), so the trial version of something like WordFast would not work (TMs too limited there in the trial).

1. Start off with OmegaT.
It will teach them the basics and also teach them how to deal with tags.

2. Apply for free licences for Wordfast:
http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=gratuity〈=engb

Drew MacFadyen
SITE STAFF
Many tool manufacturers have educational licenses Feb 7, 2012

This may be too late as the course starts soon, but I know that many of the CAT Tool manufacturers have educational versions of their software for this express usage. I don't know for certain, but I believe the educational versions have a revised EULA (End user license agreement) that specifically forbids the educational user from using the software to produce paid translation work.

Good luck.

Drew

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
OmegaT, Anaphraseus Feb 8, 2012

Try out OmegaT and Anaphraseus (the latter is in beta state, but will be suitable for text documents without heavy formatting).

Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 8, 2012

Dear all,

Thank you for your quick help.

Wordfast Anywhere + OmegaT (for the basics) + Anaphraseus + Free licneces for WF -- great ideas!

Have a nice day.

VS

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free CAT Software for Students and Classroom Work any ideas?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search