TM/glossaries building best practices.
Thread poster: Fernando Schramm

Fernando Schramm  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 10, 2012

I'm starting in translation business and there are very simple procedures that I couldn't find. Which is better?

• To use the same TM/glossary forever or separate them by area, project etc?

• To build your own glossary from scratch or download it?

• When building a glossary like general eng-pt, should I include every words in the project like articles, conjunctions, interjections, prepositions, postpositions, pronouns?

• Where to download a eng-pt GlossML file?

• Is it possible/convenient to convert glossaries like Babylon to GlossML format to use them in CAT tool?

• Any additional advices?

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:46
Member (2009)
French to English
Endless techniques Feb 10, 2012

The questions you have raised could be discussed at length. As I'd like to get in a thousand words or so before I head to bed, here are some quick tips:

1. I now organize my TMs by client for the most part, although I do now have some which are organized by client and subject, i.e. BOB legal, BOB finance, FinanceCO (all).

2. I have existing glossaries which I have found for various subjects and then ones which I have built myself for particular projects or subjects. I see no real need to integrate them.

3. You will find techniques that work for you. I tend to be fairly haphazard about my glossary building because I figure the TM catches most of the terms - if I do a half decent job of organizing the TMs (see above).

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:46
English to German
By client and/or subject - according to need Feb 10, 2012

I organize my TMs similarly to Jenn. There are the general client TMs, then TMs for special clients' projects as well as several subject-related/non-client TMs. That's feasible, because you can open several TMs at one time (depending on the CAT-tool used, of course).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM/glossaries building best practices.

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search