Translation of legal documents: formatting?
Thread poster: Ldiesman

Ldiesman  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 16, 2012

Hello!

I have received my first commission as a newly licensed California Court Interpreter, and I was wondering how you all start the process.

When translating a form, do you create your own template that matches the English version? Is that typically acceptable? I'm translating documents from a divorce between a United States citizen and her spouse from Mexico. I want to make sure the documents are formatted in a way that is acceptable to governments. In school they always said the rule of thumb is to make the translation look as much like the original as possible. Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Laura

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Local time: 03:23
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes Feb 16, 2012

Absolutely. I often use tables for that purpose: it is easy to move things around, get them in the exact spot where you want them, and when you're done everything will stay in place.

[Edited at 2012-02-16 17:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of legal documents: formatting?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search