What's your workflow for translating technical user manuals?
Thread poster: bobzjg

bobzjg
Local time: 12:08
Chinese to English
Feb 22, 2012

Been getting a lot of work related to software and user manuals.

Struggling with my current workflow. Many times I get the translation in a PDF and I have to reverse it into a tagged format, such as HTML and then apply a custom script to take out repetitive elements. Any tools and workflow as to how to improve that? I need to retain the original structure (especially tables).

Another headache is in translating something without a provided glossary. And I have to eyeball things that might or might not need to be translated, such as commands and source code or table names in a database schema. Any suggestions on how to do this smarter? Perhaps a tool to mark things that look suspicious?

If there is a CAT tool out there that can better handle technical translation workflows, I would love to know as well!

Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's your workflow for translating technical user manuals?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search