Thread poster: Ana Alvares
Ana Alvares
Ana Alvares  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 11, 2004

I am translating a book on modern drama as a trainee translator and I came across the description of a staging where:
"The stage seemed ffilled with bluish green silver-mist."
What I found out was that “silver mist” is a kind of grass ou bush that is often used for decoration purposes; furthermore, “silver mist” is also often used as a “brand name” to many kinds of things, from a car to clothes or pottery. A botanical engineer suggested “junípero-das-praias” as a tr
... See more
I am translating a book on modern drama as a trainee translator and I came across the description of a staging where:
"The stage seemed ffilled with bluish green silver-mist."
What I found out was that “silver mist” is a kind of grass ou bush that is often used for decoration purposes; furthermore, “silver mist” is also often used as a “brand name” to many kinds of things, from a car to clothes or pottery. A botanical engineer suggested “junípero-das-praias” as a translation but my problem is that it is too technical. It is an interesting translation problem Can anyone help me with more information about the “hidden meanings and implications” of “silver mist”? or even a translation proposal? (Spanish, Italian and French are also just fine).
Muito obrigada! Ana Álvares
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:25
French to Spanish
+ ...
Suggestion... Jun 11, 2004

Please, enter your question in KudoZ Term Questions, it's there exactly for that. Luck.
Juan.

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:25
German to English
+ ...
Latin name ... Jun 11, 2004

In case it's of any help, its Latin name is cedrus deodara and it's also known as Himalayan cedar (le cèdre de l'Himalaya in French). Try typing the following into google to get the Portuguese name(I assume you're translating into Portuguese).
+Plant (in Portuguese, of course)+cedrus deodara.

I often translate plant names for homoeopathy translations and this method always works well (just typing the common name of the plant into google, finding the Latin name and working fr
... See more
In case it's of any help, its Latin name is cedrus deodara and it's also known as Himalayan cedar (le cèdre de l'Himalaya in French). Try typing the following into google to get the Portuguese name(I assume you're translating into Portuguese).
+Plant (in Portuguese, of course)+cedrus deodara.

I often translate plant names for homoeopathy translations and this method always works well (just typing the common name of the plant into google, finding the Latin name and working from there).

Good luck!

Sarah
Collapse

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 06:25
English to Dutch
+ ...
Please post as a KudoZ question Jun 11, 2004

Hi,

Since this is a translation question, you should really post it as a KudoZ question in the relevant language pair, e.g. English-English or English-Portuguese.
To do so, select 'Ask Question' from the 'KudoZ' menu and you will see a form where you can enter the relevant data.

Good luck!
Marianne

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Silver Mist as a brand name for a car Jun 11, 2004

Silver Mist was indeed once the brand name for a Rolls-Royce car. They originally intended to market it in Germany under the name "Silberne Mist", but had to change it to something else when someone pointed out the meaning of "Mist" in German, which my dictionary defines as "dung, manure, muck."

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
fog Jun 12, 2004

Must be theater fog or fume, just in case wou still need an explanation.

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:25
German to English
+ ...
In my opinion, Heinrich is right Jun 12, 2004

I originally thought you were sure it was a plant, which is why I gave you the plant name, but the theatre fog/brume/Nebel explanation makes a lot more sense.

ATB,

Sarah

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
More Green Mist Jun 13, 2004

Today I noticed, our favorite tea is called "Green Mist", belonging to the Fair Trade group of products.
But probably this refers to some image of fog too.

Ana Alvares
Ana Alvares  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Jul 1, 2004

Thank you all for your help. I couldn't come to the internet for the past 2 weeks. It seems to be a kind of fog indeed, although I think it should have been written "The stage seemed filled with bluish green silver mist." (without the dash, or with dashes between the colours).
Thank you once more!
Ana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation of "silver mist" - stage design

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »