Document with many equations (German to American English)
Thread poster: Gary Hess
Gary Hess  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:25
German to English
Mar 3, 2012

I have a document with many equations (it's a German textbook about physics). There are many instances where the German sentence begins, then an equation comes, then the sentence concludes (or this even happens multiple times in a single sentence).

Example:
Damit XYZ als ABC angesprochen werden kann, muß die Nebenbedingung

[EQUATION]

erfüllt sein.

I have always thought this was terrible style in English and have worked to transform these constructions, e.g.:

The following auxiliary condition must be fulfilled in order to treat XYZ as ABC:

[EQUATION]

But this particular document is so full of these complex sentences that I don't know what to do.

Any thoughts? Is it OK to construct sentences with formulas like this in American English?

Direct link Reply with quote

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:25
Chinese to English
It's perfectly normal, I think! Mar 3, 2012

The most obvious example of where an equation would not be the end of a sentence is when the equation is followed by "where".

Thus we can derive
E=mc2 (1)
where
E is energy;
m is mass; and
c is the speed of light.

That's a completely standard format - the where is always written with a small "w" (as I recall!).

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Document with many equations (German to American English)

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search