https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/22179-speed_up_your_work_through_your_keyboard_settings.html

Speed up your work through your keyboard settings
Thread poster: Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 11:34
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jun 19, 2004

I have used Dos, Windows and briefly Mac's OS since the late 80's, but so far I have never tried speeding up the repeat delay of the keyboard (Control Panel - Keyboard - Repeat Delay, set to max).

It gives two main advantages:

1) It speeds up the resonsiveness of the keyboard for fast typing
2) When deleting text in Trados or Wordfast it removes the text faster, and you might not need to mark the text you want to delete.

Try it if you haven't done s
... See more
I have used Dos, Windows and briefly Mac's OS since the late 80's, but so far I have never tried speeding up the repeat delay of the keyboard (Control Panel - Keyboard - Repeat Delay, set to max).

It gives two main advantages:

1) It speeds up the resonsiveness of the keyboard for fast typing
2) When deleting text in Trados or Wordfast it removes the text faster, and you might not need to mark the text you want to delete.

Try it if you haven't done so already! It works, and it is a free tune up to speed up your work, unlike most of the tools around

[Edited at 2004-06-19 21:25]
Collapse

Odile Montpetit
Odile Montpetit  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Every second counts! Jun 20, 2004

[quote]Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

Try it if you haven't done so already! It works, and it is a free tune up to speed up your work, unlike most of the tools around

---------------

Thanks for the tip, Ivan! I've changed my settings already)

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The mouse setting too Jun 20, 2004

Yes it does speed things up.

Settings for the mouse movement could also be changed to speed up moving around, but this setting would need to be individually set. I now use a slightly faster setting, but I use the accelerated setting to medium.

(Control panel-settings-mouse-motion-speed)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Speed up your work through your keyboard settings

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »