How do you juggle Br Eng and Am Eng TMs?
Thread poster: Phil Hand

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:49
Chinese to English
Apr 3, 2012

For anyone who translates into English:

I work into both UK and US English for various clients, and I'd like to keep a general TM. At the moment, I keep it in British English, and just accept the red underlines when I use American spellings (I mostly use Studio). But it's irritating, and I'd like to get around it if I can. Is there any way other than to maintain and synchronise two separate TMs?

Direct link Reply with quote

Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:49
Romanian to English
+ ...
Merging them Apr 4, 2012

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but in such cases I do the following: I export the TMs in txt, open the exports in Notepad, replace EN-GB with EN-US, then import all of them in a fresh TM (Source language-EN-US). Please note that I use SDL Trados 2007.
I haven't looked that much into it, but I think you can't have two target languages in the same memory.

Another note: of course, this (partial) solution means you would have to use one target language all the time if you want to use the merged master TM, or you can repeat the same procedure each time you need to change your target language (that's quite annoying, but it may be worth it).

[Edited at 2012-04-04 07:46 GMT]

Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 10:49
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Good question - would like to hear the answer, too Apr 4, 2012

Hi, Phil.

I am following the thread to hear the answer, too.

What if there's only Studio, and no Trados 2007?

Best regards,
VS

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you juggle Br Eng and Am Eng TMs?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search