Translation of film credits - yes or no?
Thread poster: Dr. Bettina Meissner

Dr. Bettina Meissner
Germany
Local time: 03:07
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 30, 2012

Hi, I'm currently translating a video (on medical care) into German. At the end of the film, all the participating people (doctors, nurses,...) are listed with their function, department, university...

I'm unsure whether to translate parts of it or not. For example, "pivot nurse" would not be understood by a German, so I think it should actually be translated. The translation of a certain department would also still be easy to do, however then some specifications appear like "Director of the Voice and Dysphagia Laboratory" or "Director, Head and Neck Oncology Team", and I'm not sure whether this should be treated as proper nouns and left in English.

Perhaps it's even better to leave everything in English, if only parts can be translated?

Looking forward to receive your feedback on this issue!

Direct link Reply with quote

ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 05:07
English to Arabic
+ ...
Preferential issue Apr 30, 2012

Hello Bettina,

In my view, this is a preferential issue so I will ask client if I am in your place.

Kind regards

Haluk Erkan  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 05:07
Member (2011)
German to Turkish
+ ...
Nachfragen Apr 30, 2012

Ich denke, es waere sehr hilfreich für die Zuschauer, wenn Sie alles ins Deutsche übertragen würden. Dass es ein Nachspann ist, spielt dabei keine Rolle. Ihre Gedanke, teilweise zu übersetzen, würde nicht professionel erscheinen, und das sollten Sie möglicht vermeiden. Bevor Sie sich entscheiden, eine diesbezügliche Nachfrage beim Kunden könnte hilfreich sein. Viel Erfolg...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of film credits - yes or no?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search