Translators' notes
Thread poster: Karen Henry
Karen Henry
Karen Henry  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:46
French to English
May 2, 2012

I was wondering whether when writing notes for a translation would you use the comments feature in the review tab of Words, or would you put the notes at the bottom of page?

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:46
German to English
+ ...
Separate May 2, 2012

That might depend on what the client wants. In my case I usually put comments in a separate document (usually a plain .txt file) or in the body of the email that has the translated document as an attachment. This is so that the client can use the Word document immediately if it is satisfactory.

Oliver

Karen Henry
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Seperate, OK May 2, 2012

That sounds sensible, but what about if the document is very long and the customer needs to find the extract your referring to in the document? Thanks Oliver

Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
two versions, same document May 2, 2012

I do what Oliver does and usually reference my notes by page number/paragraph, etc. so document length doesn't matter.
Alternatively, you could send your clients two versions of the same document - one with notes/comments/highlighting, etc. and another "clean" version of exactly the same thing. HTH

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:46
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Comments or in-line May 2, 2012

Depends on whether the notes are for the reader, or the client. If the notes are for the client (pointing out errors in the source text, or explaining a particular translation choice that might otherwise seem unusual), I use Word comments. If the notes are for the reader (additions needed for clarity, expansions of abbreviations, and other parenthetical items), then I go with in-line notes within the text.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bespoke May 2, 2012

Given the chance, I prefer to make up my own. Sometimes it is in the form of a memo, and on other occasions I may just send a table with the original term in one column, my (suggested) translation in another, and another column with options I am aware of; the final column explains the differences and my reasons for my preference.

I also prefer to send them to the client for approval before I deliver the final draft.

However, as our colleagues note, it depends on what th
... See more
Given the chance, I prefer to make up my own. Sometimes it is in the form of a memo, and on other occasions I may just send a table with the original term in one column, my (suggested) translation in another, and another column with options I am aware of; the final column explains the differences and my reasons for my preference.

I also prefer to send them to the client for approval before I deliver the final draft.

However, as our colleagues note, it depends on what the client wants...

[Edited at 2012-05-02 14:20 GMT]
Collapse

Karen Henry
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 3, 2012

Thanks very much for all your helpful tips

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators' notes

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »