Titles in foreign language, capitalise or not?
Thread poster: elesar
elesar
Local time: 16:20
English to Italian
+ ...
May 31, 2012

Hello all,

I am translating into English an exhibition catalogue for a museum in Italy. I was asked to leave the titles of the artworks in Italian, therefore I wish to understand whether it is correct to capitalise all nouns (as customary in English titles) or capitalise only the first one. The translation would be for English native speakers or international visitors in Italy.

Any suggestions are much appreciated

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:20
Italian to English
Only the first May 31, 2012

As it happens, I have open in front of me "L'opera completa di Giambattista Tiepolo" and only the first word in each title is capitalised, apart of course from any names or proper nouns, of which there are plenty.

elesar
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only the first May 31, 2012

It makes sense
Thanks for the prompt reply

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:20
Italian to English
To confirm May 31, 2012

L'opera completa is of course an Italian publication.
However, Michael Levey's Giambattista Tiepolo, His Life and Art, (Yale University Press) translates the titles but still only capitalises the first word.

Neptunia
Italian to English
huh? Jun 26, 2012

I still can't get my head around the idea that you are not supposed to translate the titles. Can the client be persuaded otherwise? I think if you look at any major exhibition catalogues that use Italian-owned artworks the titles are translated unless the artwork is so extraordinary that its original name is in general use (like the Pala Sforzesca, for instance).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Titles in foreign language, capitalise or not?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search