Difference between Canadian French and French from France
Thread poster: Jessie Nelson

Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:16
French to English
Jul 29, 2012

Hello everyone,
I would like to become familiar with"Canadian" French for translation purposes.
I am using "French" from France at this time.
Can someone advise.
Thanks in advance.

Jessie Nelson RN

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
A link Jul 29, 2012

Hello Jessie

Here it is a link to an old thread in French started by me on this subject,

I hope it helps

http://www.proz.com/forum/french/71694-et_le_français_canadien.html#560170

Best regards

Angie

Janet Ross Snyder  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:16
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
French in Quebec (medical) Jul 30, 2012

Judging from the initials following your name, I am assuming that you would be primarily interested in doing medical translation. A good place to start would be to familiarize yourself with the Quebec Health and Social Services System http://www.msss.gouv.qc.ca/sujets/organisation/ssss_enbref/index.php?accueil_en
Next, you'll need to know place names and the names of hospitals in Quebec, so that you can more easily recognize them when you see them in handwritten form.
If you want to get an idea of what Canadian French sounds like, listen to some radio broadcasts from Radio Canada (http://www.radio-canada.ca/radio/)
Two of the most widely-read French language Canadian newspapers are the Journal de Quebec and the Journal de Montreal, which you can read on their respective websites.
If you have the time, spend a week or two in Quebec City. The city is very welcoming to visitors and you're less likely to be spoken to in English there than in Montreal.

Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:16
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting replies Jul 31, 2012

Thanks so much Angie and JLR.
I am going to follow the thread. I have already had some contact with "old French" but I did not realize by that was meant "Canadian French".

I have translated several hospital charts from Canada from various hospitals, and did not notice much difference. But sometimes if you are not well prepared you can miss things, that is not even recognize them.

I am also going to follow up on your suggestion to visit Quebec. I have been to Montreal several times. But the expense to Quebec is more than Montreal.

Regards,
Jessie Nelson RN BSN

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difference between Canadian French and French from France

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search