Should I translate phrases like MSN Money, MSN Music etc ?
Thread poster: Techamba

Techamba  Identity Verified
Ethiopia
Local time: 23:43
Member (2013)
English to Amharic
+ ...
Aug 13, 2012

Hi dears,

I am encountered with translating phrases like MSN Money, MSN Music, MSN TV. Obviously, MSN should remain as it is, wirrten in the script of the target language. My question is should I translate the associated words such as Money, Music, TV and others to the respective literal meaning in the target language? or should I put them using the target language writing script(in case it is helpful, I am translating these terms to Amharic and Amharic writing system is different from Latin).

Thank you for your help in advance.

[Edited at 2012-08-13 19:38 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:43
French to German
+ ...
To my knowledge... Aug 13, 2012

brands stay the way they are unless there is a known equivalent in the target language (and yes, I think you should use the Latin alphabet for them).

christela (X)
Have a look here: Aug 13, 2012

http://www.microsoft.com/language/en-us/Search.aspx?sString=MS%20Money&langID=am-et

http://www.microsoft.com/language/en-us/Search.aspx?sString=MS%20Money&langID=am-et

Good luck.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:43
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Microsoft Language Portal Aug 14, 2012

Powered by MSN Money በ MSN ገንዘብ የተነደፈ Windows Vista

http://www.microsoft.com/language/en-us/Search.aspx?sString=MSN%20Money&langID=am-et

Use Windows Live ID to sign in to MSN Messenger, MSN Hotmail, MSN Music, and other sites and services! Windows Live ID works with Passport Network sites.

ወደ MSN Messenger፣ MSN Hotmail፣ MSN Music እና ሌሎች ጣቢያዎች እና አገልግሎቶች በመለያ ለመግባት Windows Live መታወቂያ ተጠቀም! Windows Live መታወቂያ የPassport Network ጣቢያዎች ላይ ይሰራል።

http://www.microsoft.com/language/en-us/Search.aspx?sString=MSN%20Music&langID=am-et

George Hopkins
Swedish to English
No Aug 14, 2012

No

Ethiopia
Member (2013)
English to Amharic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all But..... Aug 14, 2012

I see on Microsoft websites that MSN Messenger, MSN Hotmail etc are written in latin not in Ethiopic fonts. What is the problem if I write the brand names in Ethiopic fonts, as long as the intended users are Amharic readers.

[Edited at 2012-08-14 19:41 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It depends on... Aug 14, 2012

yibebiz wrote:
I am encountered with translating phrases like MSN Money, MSN Music, MSN TV. ... My question is should I translate the associated words such as Money, Music, TV and others to the respective literal meaning in the target language?

If your client says "no", then no. If these terms refer to products that do not form part of the current translation, then no. If these terms refer to non-existing products, then ask yourself if doing so would be normal in your language. Generally, if these are product names, then do not translate it.

Microsoft's web pages in exotic languages tend to be very poorly translated and shows clear signs of having been translated by multiple service providers using different style sheets at different times. Also, the web pages are not edited extensively before going live, so some of what you see there is content with automatically inserted text. You really, really can't trust the Microsoft web pages to determine language style.

yibebiz wrote:
I see on Microsoft websites that MSN Messenger, MSN Hotmail etc are written in Latin not in Ethiopic fonts. What is the problem if I write the brand names in Ethiopic fonts, as long as the intended user is Amharic readers.

Well, that is a transcription issue, not a translation issue. How are other overseas product names treated in Amharic?

[Edited at 2012-08-14 13:35 GMT]

Ethiopia
Member (2013)
English to Amharic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok, I agree any part of brand names shouldn't be translated but.... Aug 14, 2012

I agree brand names should remain in the source language(at least in my case) but I still believe that the names should be written in the script of the target language (In this case Amharic fonts). But as shown in the previous works of Microsoft website, the product names remained in latin fonts. I don't really feel comfortable with that. In regular and formal Amharic writings, the reader shouldn't even be obliged to know latin fonts. Latin fonts can be written in brackets, if they have to be.

But for translation works I am observing on Microsoft pages, words are written in latin and an Amharic preposition written preceding or succeeding them, which is quite informal in Amharic.

My position is product names, even if they are not translated, must be written using the fonts of the target language.

Please comment on my position.

Thank you a lot.

[Edited at 2012-08-14 19:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-08-14 20:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-08-14 20:05 GMT]

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:43
Chinese to English
Ask the client Aug 14, 2012

yibebiz wrote:

I see on Microsoft websites that MSN Messenger, MSN Hotmail etc are written in latin not in Ethiopic fonts. What is the problem if I write the brand names in Ethiopic fonts, as long as the intended users are Amharic readers...My position is product names, even if they are not translated, must be written using the fonts of the target language.

Using a local script might make your text easier to read. That's a good argument.

However, when an Ethiopian reader clicks on the MSN Money page, they'll see MSN Money written in Latin script. If you've transliterated into Ethiopic font, that means you reduce the reader's ability to recognise the official page when they see it. That's a good argument against.

Ultimately it depends on what the client wants.

Ethiopia
Member (2013)
English to Amharic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Aug 15, 2012

Phil, You made a good point. Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I translate phrases like MSN Money, MSN Music etc ?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search