Do you translate everything from the source text?
Thread poster: Carmen Grabs

Carmen Grabs
Germany
Local time: 11:29
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 2, 2012

Hi there,

I often come accross source texts where I translate for example a text for a presentation or a website, where at some point the text refers to the website itself and some of its links.

I translate from English to German. Now, the website itself only exists in English, do I translate the link words, such as "About us" etc. also? Or do I leave it in the original language, as the German reader will not be able to found the translated meaning of "About us" on the English-only website?

How do you go about this?

Thanks a lot.
Carmen

Direct link Reply with quote

Mailand  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
If in doubt, ask the client Oct 2, 2012

Leaving it in the original would be more "reader-friendly", I guess - they know what to expect (that is English only) - on the other hand, you have been asked to translate the "whole text", I guess, so - when in doubt - always ask the client.

Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Lost in translation you mean? Oct 2, 2012

Should you not maybe ask such questions to your client who must be in the know?
That is what I would do.

Or you could keep the English and translate in German as well, but it is not very smooth.

Or one could trust the reader to be aware of what such repetitive expressions in English mean on a website, particularly if the rest is translated into German.

Not very helpful reply, but my first suggestion seems to be the best idea. I would do that, if in doubt. Refer the matter to the client...

Claudette

[Edited at 2012-10-02 15:40 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
For me, leave it. For you, well... Oct 2, 2012

Carmen Grabs wrote:
I translate from English to German. Now, the website itself only exists in English, do I translate the link words, such as "About us" etc. also? Or do I leave it in the original language, as the German reader will not be able to found the translated meaning of "About us" on the English-only website?

Never assume that your German readers will be able to figure out what the German translation is.

If you know the site is in English, use "About us". If you suspect the site is in English, use "About us" and the German in brackets behind it. If you suspect the site is in German, use your best guess German, and put the English in brackets behind it.

In my language combination, I have the freedom to use lowercase in addition to uppercase, but I understand that that is a bit difficult for German.

Samuel

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:29
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes, I agree with Samuel. Oct 2, 2012

You either don't translate the name of the link at all, or put the translation in the parentheses.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:29
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Keep English terms Oct 2, 2012

If the website is in English only, I would keep the English terms with the German translations in brackets. Some people may need the translation, some won't but it is best to provide it.

Having said that, I agree with others: check with the client to make sure.

Carmen Grabs
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The reason why I ask ... Oct 2, 2012

... is that I have asked the client so many things today already that I just thought I want to give him a break

With previous translations, I have done it exactly as Tina writes: Keep the English original and put the German translation next to it in brackets and then advise the client about it by email.

Thank you for all your input and helpful replies!!

Carmen

Carmen Grabs
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did ask, and the reply was Oct 3, 2012

yes, leave the German in brackets behind the English original.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you translate everything from the source text?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search