Does the translation theory term "error de sentido" have an English equivalent?
Thread poster: silvia_27

silvia_27
Local time: 20:10
Spanish to English
Nov 25, 2012

Hello, does anyone know the official translation for "Error de sentido". Its a translation error typology that appears in Amparo Hurtado´s book: Traducción y Traductología.
Please help!

thks,

Silvia

Direct link Reply with quote

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 19:10
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Official? Nov 26, 2012

I don't know if it's at all "official," but when I asked the same question at my university when faced with grading qualifying exams for the M.A. in translation, my colleagues told me they use "error in meaning."

If others have other options, I would love to hear them! Perhaps more people would see and respond to your question if you asked in in the KudoZ section.

Jane

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:10
German to English
+ ...
error of meaning transfer / meaning transfer error Nov 26, 2012

Hurtado wrote her book after I studied this sort of thing, so I am not giving a definitive answer here, but this link speaks of "problems of meaning transfer".

In various chats I have had with one or two Portuguese academics, they agreed that we need to "traduzir o sentido" - translate the meaning (and not the words).

Another, more cynical, suggestion is "mistranslation", because if you do not convey the meaning in the target text, then you have mistranslated it. I presume, however, that there is some sort of hierarchy of errors, which would include and error of register (formal versus informal), cultural appropriateness, etc.

Since Hurtado published in 1994, I would think that there must be a translation of her work - which you could search for, and may well find these things hidden under topics such as "systematic comparative analysis", or "applied comparative linguistics" or other similarly-worded convolutions.

Hope that helps.

Edited to include the link! http://www.multi-languages.com/translators_revisions.shtml

[Edited at 2012-11-26 12:35 GMT]

Also edited because some kind soul correctly suggested that I assign the author the gender she was born with.

[Edited at 2012-11-27 08:17 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does the translation theory term "error de sentido" have an English equivalent?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search