Translation of Legal Certificates
Thread poster: Roberta Chaim

Roberta Chaim  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 02:13
English to Portuguese
Jan 3, 2013

When it comes to translating legal documents, is anyone translating word by word or simply inserting the data into a template/table?

In Australia, the certificates are just in a table format, but the Portuguese version comes full of text.
So word by word or should we simply extract info and includeit in a template format?

Thanks guys and happy new year!

[Edited at 2013-01-03 01:45 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Mastruzzo  Identity Verified
Australia
English to Spanish
+ ...
Original format Jan 3, 2013

Hi Roberta,

I live in Australia too and the same happens with certificates from Spanish speaking countries. I always try to follow the original format in my translations; I translate word by word, except when the clients require an extract translation.

Hope this helps,

Maria Mastruzzo

Australia
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 3, 2013

Thanks Maria,

I appreciate your comment, good to know there is someone out there facing the same issue

Thanks

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:13
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not necessarily word by word Jan 3, 2013

I also keep the translation as close as possible to the original lines and wording, unless the word order in the original doesn't make sense in the target language. Then I sometimes shift a line or a few words to a different location.

Australia
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Legal Documents Jan 3, 2013

Thanks Tina,

I agree with you that it all has to be kept as close as possible to the original (it is our translator job to do so in the end of the day ) but as I read from the internet that people just get names and dates and fit them into an existing template table, it did confuse me.

Others say that even the format needs to be as close as possible to the original, which requires a lot of time too and it is the the way I am following at the moment. But I am now considering a template that could still fit in all information but not in the exact order which could save me heaps of time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of Legal Certificates

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search