what is the tension between naturalness and accuracy in the translation of collocations?
Thread poster: ryuusabakuryuu
Jan 3, 2013

help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:23
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes- help! Jan 4, 2013

ryuusabakuryuu wrote:

help!

I don't understand the question.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 11:23
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Lost in translation? Jan 4, 2013

http://bu.umc.edu.dz/theses/anglais/MEL1228.pdf

Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:23
Member (2002)
English to German
Good subject Jan 4, 2013

Make sure to let us know about your own thoughts and results after you have finished your paper and/or have discussed the subject in class. Thanks!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:23
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ryuusa Jan 4, 2013

ryuusabakuryuu wrote:
What is the tension between naturalness and accuracy in the translation of collocations?

I'm not sure what you mean by "what is the tension". There is tension, no doubt, but I'm not sure how to answer the question "WHAT is the tension".

My real-world experience with collocations may be more limited than your professor's academic experience of it, but yes, I often have to deal with collocations while translating technical texts. In particular, using CAT tools with a strict glossary may result in issues with collocations, when the translator has to decide to what degree he is allowed to depart from the collocation in the glossary, if he wants to make the translation more natural. I have dealt with proofreaders who take this very seriously and who would penalise such discrepancies as if they don't even know the language, but I suppose it is largely a matter of instinct to know how far you can go and still be compliant to the client's prescriptions.

As for what the tension specifically is, well, I don't think that the tension between naturalness and accuracy (beauty and faithfulness, it is also called) in collocations is much different from the similar tension elsewhere in translation. Or what does your professor say?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what is the tension between naturalness and accuracy in the translation of collocations?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search