Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What is exactly meant when EDITING by a separate editor is required?
Thread poster: Beatraduc (X)
Beatraduc (X)
Beatraduc (X)
Local time: 21:09
English to French
Sep 14, 2004

I hope this question has not been asked yet (If so kindly give me the link, I didn't find any) but I should say that I'm puzzled. I have a proposal of "Translating and seperate editing from English into French".
What do I exactly have to do ? I asked the question and here is what I got : "That means you should use another editors after your translation". What do you think ?

May be my question seems quite easy for all of you but as I havn't been translating for some time now I
... See more
I hope this question has not been asked yet (If so kindly give me the link, I didn't find any) but I should say that I'm puzzled. I have a proposal of "Translating and seperate editing from English into French".
What do I exactly have to do ? I asked the question and here is what I got : "That means you should use another editors after your translation". What do you think ?

May be my question seems quite easy for all of you but as I havn't been translating for some time now I hope the community will give me some tips.
I add that my customer is a Vietnamiese agency if it matters.

Many thanks to all of you.
Beatrice
Collapse

Gilberto Lacchia
Gilberto Lacchia  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Tanslate and the find a proofreader Sep 14, 2004

Beatraduc wrote:

What do I exactly have to do ? I asked the question and here is what I got : \"That means you should use another editors after your translation\". What do you think ?

IMO, you should translate the text and have it proofread by another editor (proofreader). This is not a common practice: usually the agency has its own proofreader and does not ask the translator to find one.

Ciao,
Gilberto

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
It's best to ask the client Sep 14, 2004

Some clients have exact definitions of what they mean by editing and proofreading. To avoid any confusion, I think you'd better ask what you are supposed to do.
Some expect you to review the text against the original, some expect you to check only the target text and some only want you to check grammar, spelling, etc.

collision (X)
collision (X)
English to French
+ ...
Lack of confidence Sep 14, 2004

Gilberto Lacchia wrote:

Beatraduc wrote:

What do I exactly have to do ? I asked the question and here is what I got : \"That means you should use another editors after your translation\". What do you think ?

IMO, you should translate the text and have it proofread by another editor (proofreader). This is not a common practice: usually the agency has its own proofreader and does not ask the translator to find one.

Ciao,
Gilberto

It also means that they haven't much confidence in your translation capabilities.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Proofreading Sep 14, 2004

I agree with Gilberto. They probably want you to find an independent proofreader, who would check your translation against the original.

As for collision's note: Not necessarily. Every translation should be proofread by another person, but finding a proofreader is usually the agency's job.

[Edited at 2004-09-14 12:22]

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Editing COST Sep 14, 2004

It means that, for example, they pay you 10 cents a word and expect you to PAY THE EDITOR out of your own pocket. I wouldn't work for them. The business practice in the translation field is for agencies to find and pay their OWN editors separately from the translator. So, you have to FIND and PAY someone to do their work. This is NOT USUAL practice in the field of translation.

I would let them know that.

Best and cheers

collision (X)
collision (X)
English to French
+ ...
Of course, Jane is right Sep 14, 2004

It is a way to transfer costs on the translator. But also the responsibility for the quality of the translation. These agencies don't have proofreaders, don't want to hire a second translator for x reasons, and promised the client that the translation should be checked by someone. As soon as there is an error they won't pay you, because you took the responsibility for the quality of the translation.

I think on the contrary that it's your responsibility to make a good translation, t
... See more
It is a way to transfer costs on the translator. But also the responsibility for the quality of the translation. These agencies don't have proofreaders, don't want to hire a second translator for x reasons, and promised the client that the translation should be checked by someone. As soon as there is an error they won't pay you, because you took the responsibility for the quality of the translation.

I think on the contrary that it's your responsibility to make a good translation, the way you do that is your problem, and what your client will be doing with your translation (having it edited or not, typesetting, combining it with other translations, even making other errors) is his matter. Just say that your prices are good for 1) the translation and 2) serious proofreading by yourself. See how they react.

By the way, having your translations proofread or edited by another person is very time-consuming and costly because you have to decide what you are going to keep and what not.

[Edited at 2004-09-14 13:59]
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Can't agree Sep 14, 2004

Collision:
[/quote]
It also means that they haven't much confidence in your translation capabilities.[/quote]

I am afraid I disagree. Translations need to have a second reading, whether it's the day after (ideally) by the translator him/herself (if they haven't been so wrapped up in it that they can't see the wood for the trees by the time they review it), or preferably, by another 'reader', whether as a full edit against ST, spot check against ST (about inof transfer),
... See more
Collision:
[/quote]
It also means that they haven't much confidence in your translation capabilities.[/quote]

I am afraid I disagree. Translations need to have a second reading, whether it's the day after (ideally) by the translator him/herself (if they haven't been so wrapped up in it that they can't see the wood for the trees by the time they review it), or preferably, by another 'reader', whether as a full edit against ST, spot check against ST (about inof transfer), and/or to check for style, grammar, punctuation, etc.

Any agency interested in QUALITY control should arrange their own edit, for obvious reasons.

I have had people ask me to arrange for a translation and independent editing. I really don't see the problem, as I think any professional will comply honestly.

However, agencies still should arrange their own edits, they are ultimately responsible to the client, so they are ultimately responsible for quality. If there are any defects in your translation/editing, that is an issue they have with you.

[Edited at 2004-09-14 14:27]
Collapse

Alejandra Villarroel
Alejandra Villarroel  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
QC & QA not lack of confidence Sep 14, 2004

I'm sorry to disagree with you, collision, but I think you are totally misleading Beatraduc, in particular considering that she has not translated for some time.
The fact that they request editing does not mean they don't trust her (they wouln't contact her in the first place.) It only means they know a little bit about quality, but just a little OR they would have they own editors (and pay for them of course.)
ALEJANDRA

collision wrote:

Gilberto Lacchia wrote:

Beatraduc wrote:

Ciao,
Gilberto

It also means that they haven't much confidence in your translation capabilities.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Turn the question around Sep 14, 2004

Ask them if they expect the separate editor's invoice or if they will pay you the extra charge to offset.

May I add that there is a big hitch to working with Vietnam. You, as a foreign-country-based service provider, have to sign a contract recognised by the Vietnamese government in order for payment to get processed (they have a forex restriction; if they haven't told you that one yet, they might be saving it as a punchline). So if you feel that bank and processing charges are goin
... See more
Ask them if they expect the separate editor's invoice or if they will pay you the extra charge to offset.

May I add that there is a big hitch to working with Vietnam. You, as a foreign-country-based service provider, have to sign a contract recognised by the Vietnamese government in order for payment to get processed (they have a forex restriction; if they haven't told you that one yet, they might be saving it as a punchline). So if you feel that bank and processing charges are going to get the better part of the deal, it may be best to abandon (I'd personally point them in another direction for anything below 200 eu.).

Good luck!
Collapse

Beatraduc (X)
Beatraduc (X)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everybody Sep 14, 2004

Sorry I didn't answer earlier but in fact I gave up a bit translating for some time and I'm teaching English and Secretary techniques part time, so I was teaching today.

From your answers I gather that I should be very careful and I think that in fact the price they intend to give me is to translate AND to pay for a separate editor. The price is 0.07§/word. If I have to find a proofreader and pay him/her it's not worth even if there are 13 000 words. Don't you think ?

collision (X)
collision (X)
English to French
+ ...
Of course not Sep 14, 2004

Alejandra Villarroel wrote:

I'm sorry to disagree with you, collision, but I think you are totally misleading Beatraduc, in particular considering that she has not translated for some time.

I suppose Beatraduc is a good translator, and that she asked the right question. Do you really think each agency proofreads all the work they are subcontracting? Of course not!!! Proofreading (or editing, or checking) is a part of their margin. And besides, does a hairdresser's or a garage owner's work has to be checked? I really don't know where all these proofreadings are coming from, but I think that lots of translation agencies are working with bad, unknown, new, unexperienced, as-cheap-as-possible translators, and then of course the translations have to be verified. And even if it is a good translation, the checker or proofreader will do everything to criticize it as much as possible. This a highly costly process, as if it could not be done in the right way at the first time. I'm saying this because I know that there are other means to run a translation agency: working with skilled translators who know what they are doing. And as for direct clients: I've never had a direct client who asked me for independent editing.

collision (X)
collision (X)
English to French
+ ...
Oh..... Sep 14, 2004

Beatraduc wrote:
From your answers I gather that I should be very careful and I think that in fact the price they intend to give me is to translate AND to pay for a separate editor. The price is 0.07§/word. If I have to find a proofreader and pay him/her it's not worth even if there are 13 000 words. Don't you think ?

If you are doing this, you should charge YOUR prices: YOUR price for translation + YOUR price for editing + YOUR price for selecting a translator, i.e. the cost of your work. In other words, the same as a translation agency.

Beatraduc (X)
Beatraduc (X)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
All your advises are very helpful Sep 14, 2004

I saw the last entries in the topic and I will be more than careful. I never would have imagined that they really could foresee proofreading by someone else I have to find myself. I've never encounter that before. The agency was taking care of the proofreading. If I was dishonnest I could just say that my work has been checked, that's just nonsense !

In fact I will ask for what you suggest and I suppose they will give me up. Thanks again to all of you.

Beatrice

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is exactly meant when EDITING by a separate editor is required?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »