Nicolas Bonsignore
Nicolas Bonsignore  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:05
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Sep 21, 2004

Hi all,
I just wanted to know how localization works. I already translated some texts with Trados Workbench and Tag Editor but the text was in .doc.
I never did the whole job (conversion, tags, ...) and I would like to know how to proceed.
What are the best software ?
When you got the html, xml,... file what do I need to do ?
What are the average rates ? Hourly rate or rate per word ?
Thanks a lot...
Nicolas

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
A bit more specific??? Sep 21, 2004

Hi Nicolas,

Your question is close to kind of "what is localization?"

The specific tasks and tools involved highly depend on several factors, e.g.
- is it for a direct client or an agency
- is it a Windows application, a PC game, a console game, a mobile phone interface or whatever

Some companies use their very own file formats as their resources, others use common stuff that can b
... See more
Hi Nicolas,

The specific tasks and tools involved highly depend on several factors, e.g.
- is it for a direct client or an agency
- is it a Windows application, a PC game, a console game, a mobile phone interface or whatever

Some companies use their very own file formats as their resources, others use common stuff that can be edited in traditional localization tools. Others simply extract all the strings into Excel or Word at their end and do the re-integration themselves.

So, you see, there is no ONE answer to any of your questions, I'm afraid.

However, as far as rates are concerned, I for myself have three different rates when it comes to the different parts of localization:
- one for Help and Documentation (lowest)
- one for Software strings as well as timed (i.e. length restricted) Audio scripts (higher)
- one for lip synch Audio scripts (highest)
All of the above on a per word basis.

Regards,
Stefan
Collapse

Nicolas Bonsignore
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
i can't... Sep 21, 2004

Stefan Keller wrote:

Hi Nicolas,

Well, it is actually! ;o)

I really do not know how it works and I would like to get info on the process for
- videogames
- soft
- help

Thanx

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
as said before... Sep 21, 2004

... that *depends*

Videogames:
Suppose an Xbox title: You will most definitely need MS LocStudio to translate all the in-game on-screen texts. You will most certainly have to translate all the audio scripts for the recording sessions.
Now, take a PlayStation title, and forget about MS LocStudio again, because you will need another tool. And so on...

Help can be based on RTF, HTM or XML, or a combination of any of them, so most CAT tools should perfectly hand
... See more
... that *depends*

Videogames:
Suppose an Xbox title: You will most definitely need MS LocStudio to translate all the in-game on-screen texts. You will most certainly have to translate all the audio scripts for the recording sessions.
Now, take a PlayStation title, and forget about MS LocStudio again, because you will need another tool. And so on...

Help can be based on RTF, HTM or XML, or a combination of any of them, so most CAT tools should perfectly handle them.

Software, guess what?, depends on what software it is. If it's plain RC files, you can use most CAT tools again, if it's a dedicated format created by the software vendor, it could be anything. If it's Windows DLLs, you can choose from quite a range of Localization tools.

Same for doc: FrameMaker, PageMaker, Quark, InDesign, Ventura, etc., etc. ... name any DTP application, you don't know before you start talking about a specific project.

So, I'm really sorry, but there's no single and generally valid answer to questions like "How to translate a videogame", I'm afraid...

Regards,
Stefan
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Learn Sep 21, 2004

Hello,

maybe it is an possibility to take a job in an translation agency and learn the whole process in the next years.

Another possibility is to read, to read and to try.

I think that it is impossible to answer this question in some posts.

With kind regards

Hans

Nicolas Bonsignore
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
where ? Sep 22, 2004

Another possibility is to read, to read and to try.

Hans

My question is : where can find stuff to read about that ?
Do you have some links ? titles ? authors ? references ?

Thanks a lot....

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Start with documentation Sep 22, 2004

nicolas bonsignore wrote:

My question is : where can find stuff to read about that ?
Do you have some links ? titles ? authors ? references ?

As for the different file formats, try to read the TRADOS File Formats Reference Guide. I believe it's part of Trados or you can download it from www.translationzone.com/download.asp?menuItem=3.

You can also go to the Files section of the TW_users group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/files and download various conversion utilities that are useful for localization.

[Edited at 2004-09-22 16:36]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

localization for the dummy I am...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »