Thread poster: B D Finch
B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:32
French to English
+ ...
May 18, 2013

I prepared a Word file for translation using Wordfast Classic and with the Client's TM. The pre-translated file shows all the Wordfast tw4win marks with a line through them. I inspected the original file using Ms Word's inspection facility and found that it contained "custom xml data". Can anybody advise whether I should remove that data and pre-translate the file again? Can custom xml data cause any technical or security problems to my computer?

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:32
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
XML is responsible for formatting May 19, 2013

You seem to be using a Word file in .docx which is a (compressed) set of ordinary text files representing the XML code responsible for formatting. Such an open format provides for, among other things, higher information confidentiality and file reliability (meaning failure resistance).
So I wouldn't recommend you removing something in that part.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do about custom xml data in Word file

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »