What is meant by " framework" in essay writing ?
Thread poster: hind1213
hind1213
hind1213
English to Arabic
Jul 4, 2013

Hello,
So i am doing a course on Transation Theory, and i have to write an essay comparing two published translations of the same sourse text. I have my text ready , along with two published translations. I have analysed the ST and TTs, examined the cultural and linguistic problems in the ST and the translation strategies used by the translators . I have done a bit of research so far on cognitive poetics , cognitive linguistics and discourse analysis in order to place in /relate my com
... See more
Hello,
So i am doing a course on Transation Theory, and i have to write an essay comparing two published translations of the same sourse text. I have my text ready , along with two published translations. I have analysed the ST and TTs, examined the cultural and linguistic problems in the ST and the translation strategies used by the translators . I have done a bit of research so far on cognitive poetics , cognitive linguistics and discourse analysis in order to place in /relate my comparison to a wider framework ( my ST is a poem).

My instructor asked us to have a certian framework in mind while analysing the TTs and the comparative data. I still have a vague understanding of this word. Since I wont' be able to talk with my insctructor till October, i thought someone might help me with this...

Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Dr. Théodore Dassé
Dr. Théodore Dassé
Cameroon
Local time: 20:38
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Measuring tape Jul 5, 2013

Assume that you are a tailor and that you are asked to make a jacket out a material. You don't cut the material anyhow. You need a measuring tape. The same applies with essay writing. Your data is the material and the framework is a measuring tape you use to analyse that data.

The framework also called theory or theoretical framework helps analyse your data by providing the terminology you use to taxonomize pertinent cultural and linguistic phenomena of your data. You don't invent
... See more
Assume that you are a tailor and that you are asked to make a jacket out a material. You don't cut the material anyhow. You need a measuring tape. The same applies with essay writing. Your data is the material and the framework is a measuring tape you use to analyse that data.

The framework also called theory or theoretical framework helps analyse your data by providing the terminology you use to taxonomize pertinent cultural and linguistic phenomena of your data. You don't invent categories for analysing your data. You take them from established scholars in the field. For example, you said "I have analysed the ST and TTs, examined the cultural and linguistic problems in the ST and the translation strategies used by the translators . "

1. Have you reviewed theoretical literature on culture in translation?
2. Have you reviewed theorerical literature on 'language' (grammar in general, mechanics)?
3. Have you review theoretical literature on translation strategies? How have you come to call a given strategy, say, "explicitation"? You learnt it from a given theory/framework.

Two quick remarks

1. Within a broad theory/framework, there may be specific theories/frameworks. That is, there are parallel, complementary and sometimes contradictory accounts/explanations of a given phenomenon. You therefore need to pick just one that suits your purpose/data.

2. Obviously, you will not need a single "framework" if you are exploring a cultural and linguistic dimensions of your texts (ST and TT).

Hope this helps,
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:38
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes, I agree, that this is what framework is, Jul 5, 2013

however you have a very difficult task because poetry translation is not really translation per se, and the process is totally different, and quite unpredictable compared to other types of translation. Poems are usually re-created based on the original text. What you get is a new poem, that does not really have to follow the same grammatical or structural rules as the original. There is also more freedom as far as the translation of particular phrases is concerned, and yet less freedom in some r... See more
however you have a very difficult task because poetry translation is not really translation per se, and the process is totally different, and quite unpredictable compared to other types of translation. Poems are usually re-created based on the original text. What you get is a new poem, that does not really have to follow the same grammatical or structural rules as the original. There is also more freedom as far as the translation of particular phrases is concerned, and yet less freedom in some respect -- in terms of meter, or a certain melodic quality of the final outcome.

[Edited at 2013-07-05 18:34 GMT]
Collapse

hind1213
hind1213
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
very helpful Jul 14, 2013

Thank you very very very much. I have a better understanding now . Thank you for taking the time to reply .

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is meant by " framework" in essay writing ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »