Thread poster: Md Abu Alam

Md Abu Alam  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 10:39
Member (2009)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Jul 20, 2013

I often confuse while putting punctuation after English words in English>Bengali translation. The difficulties specially become greater when I need to put a full-stop (.) after numbers in English. The reason is in Bengali this punctuation (।) has a similarity with "1". So, if I use the punctuation in Bengali it may confuses the reader. On the other hand, I don't think it logical to put the punctuation in English in a Bengali document.

Can anybody suggest me on the issue in line with the translation policies?

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:09
English to Hindi
+ ...
Also in Hindi Jul 20, 2013

This issue is there in Hindi also, as the Hindi full-stop (khadi pai) also looks like the numeral one.

What you can do is where a full stop comes after a number, you can use the dot instead of the khadi pai. This way, there would be no confusion of the khadi pai being taken as the numeral 1.

At all other places, you can use the khadi pai.

Neptunia
Local time: 06:39
Italian to English
this can be a monolingual English problem too! Jul 20, 2013

In English language documents where the numbers have to be absolutely clear it is common to see the number written out in words following the numerical number. This happens on checks and sometimes contracts. I'm not sure if there is a translation convention for handling the problem you describe, but maybe repeating the number in words, perhaps in brackets, could help separate the number from the punctuation.

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:39
Russian to English
+ ...
You have to always use the punctuation of the language Jul 20, 2013

in which you are writing. I think this might be the only rule, whether it is logical or not.

Md Abu Alam  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 10:39
Member (2009)
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot. Jul 20, 2013

Thank you dear colleagues. I'm grateful to all three of you. You three suggested in quite different angles. So, I think, translators don't follow any homogenous policy in this regard.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Punctuation in mixed languages

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search