Thread poster: Carmen Grabs

Carmen Grabs
Germany
Local time: 19:57
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 21, 2013

I am doing a transcription (without translation) of some videos and the client has asked me to do timecoded files in word or excel.

Could anyone please let me know how this works? I have never done the timecoded files before.

Thanks a lot!
Carmen

Pauline Riccarand  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 18:57
English to French
+ ...
Do you see the time code in your videos? Aug 21, 2013

If you are using VLC or any other video player, you should see the time code somewhere in the format 00:00:00,000. (hour:minute:second, millisecond).
You just need to stop the video when a character starts speaking, report the time code on your translation indicated by your player then do the same when he stops.

For example : 00:00:00,000--> 00:00:02,075
CHARACTER A
My name is John ect ect

Character A speaks for 2 seconds and 75 milliseconds.

If your player doesn't display codes, I suggest you simply indicate minutes and seconds using the same technique.

I hope it is clear...

Good luck !

Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 12:57
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
2 ways Aug 21, 2013

The audio is to be transcribed, and you can do it 2 ways.
Method 1
Play the audio in windows media player and for every dialogue, check the time code on the media player and put that in the first column in xl sheet. 2nd col is for the dialogue.
Method 2:
Download express scribe pro ( free). Then play the clipping in the software. You can see the video too. Start transcribing as earlier. Because you can see the persons, the sample format is
00:01:02 Male1: I cannot come to your house
00:01:06 Female: But you should try
00:01:09 Male2: If he is not coming, let us go.....

I have done subtitling for 6 movies and numerous monolingual transcriptions, plus some times translations too.

Carmen Grabs
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great help! Aug 21, 2013

Thank you both for your fast and efficient replies. Yes, I can see a timecode, but it's only minutes and seconds.icon_frown.gif

I learned from you that with every new dialogue a new timecode has to be noted. Great. Understood.

Will check out the scribe version another time when I have more time, this time will have to do it manually.

Thank you very much!!icon_smile.gif Very helpful.

KKastenhuber  Identity Verified
Austria
Russian to German
+ ...
Ask about your client's needs and use transcription software Aug 21, 2013

Carmen Grabs wrote:

I learned from you that with every new dialogue a new timecode has to be noted. Great. Understood.

Will check out the scribe version another time when I have more time, this time will have to do it manually.

It is not a general rule that a timecode needs to be included whenever somebody starts to speak. Your client may have different needs or preferences, e.g. I recently had a client who needed me to include a timecode every 10 seconds ... it all depends on what the transcript will be used for, so ask your client!

I would also highly recommend that you download some kind of transcription software - InqScribe is good, especially since you're doing video transcription, but there are others as well. They save enormous amounts of time, so do look into them!

[Edited at 2013-08-21 22:55 GMT]

GRI BUONGIORNE  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Using Express Scribe on a Mac Aug 22, 2013

I am new at this as well. What type of audio files can be downloaded into ES? I work with Audacity and then export them as mp3, when I tried to load them to ES using the load tab, however all my mp3 files are greyed out...does it have to be another format?
Thanks for your input

Silvia

Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 12:57
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
so many paths Aug 22, 2013

I started using windows media player. Then had audacity. Now use Express Scribe Pro.
I keep shuttling even now, for audacity is very clear in some cases, review jobs need windows media player etc. The advantage with ES is you can use a pedal so the hands are free.
I use any type of files in ES ->wav, mp3,mp4 etc. check the website for ES for more details.(NCH Software...)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to do timecoded files?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search