Japanese to English Equity research translation
Thread poster: LouRou

LouRou  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:14
Japanese to English
Sep 10, 2013

Hi,

I am a Japanese to English translator with few years experience under my belt.

Mostly, I've translated market research materials, general business documents etc, but I am keen to improve my financial translation skills, particularly in equity research report translation.

I recently worked at a Japanese bank where I translated financial documents, and with enough time and guidance from my manager who filled me in on the occasional technical terminology, I seem to have done well.

However, when I've applied in the past for J>E equity translation positions, the roles that have come up here in the UK seem to be for very experienced equity research translators, and I've struggled being asked to take a timed test without access to online resources to look up financial vocabulary. It seems they want people who are very highly familiar with that kind of translation and could translate very quickly.

So my question is, if I wanted to improve my knowledge and skills in this area of translation, what can I do?

I've thought of trying to get work from various agencies that handle J>E financial translations, and get used to translating materials in my own time at home with full resources, build up my vocabulary, knowledge on the subject, and hopefully speed.

However, I have noticed that most J>E equity research translators seem to have started off their careers working for banks in Japan translating less technical content or as junior financial translators, before moving on to more technical stuff.

I am wondering if actual on-the-job experience is necessary to build up my knowledge in technical financial translation.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:14
Chinese to English
Don't know about Japanese, but... Sep 11, 2013

I've done a little bit of this kind of work, and you're right about the requirements. When applying for one job, they said to me that the clients are very fussy: they can only devote 30 seconds to reading the report, so it has to be worded exactly right to avoid any difficulties in comprehension.

Fortunately, the terminology isn't that hard. You have to learn two things: terminology and form. The terminology is financial/accounting terms and a lot of industry terminology (e.g. Diageo works in the "alcoholic beverages" industry, not "alcoholic drinks"). The form is the format of an equity report. They have sections which are the same every time, and they have a certain clipped style that you can imitate.

There are tons of examples available online. Read a lot, learn the vocab lists, and you're there. Don't know anything about how to go about getting the jobs in your pair, though.

LouRou  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:14
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 11, 2013

Thanks Phil.

Yes, you're right, I need to get the form as well as the vocab.

I will need to hunt around online for some examples.

Jobs in my pair come along every once in a while, I think if my skills are up to scratch, I have a fair chance of getting one since there seems to be a shortage of good J>E equity research translators.

I'll keep chugging away.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese to English Equity research translation

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search