Thread poster: Gad Kohenov

Gad Kohenov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 02:47
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Nov 18, 2013

http://www.onomazein.net/26/12-duran.pdf

An interesting article about mistakes in translations of tourist texts.
I hope you will enjoy reading it.

G.K.

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:47
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Interesting, but rather narrow in scope Nov 18, 2013

I have dealt with translation of tourist information in my master thesis 1999. The basic problem is that texts are translated which are principally aimed at domestic tourists, but foreign tourist have a different cultural background compared to domestic tourists. So information for foreign tourists should be written especially for this purpose. Of course another problem is the use of inexperienced translators, but even an experienced translator cannot do away with the flaws in the original text, if the client insists on translating 1:1 the source material without adaptation.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:47
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Google Nov 18, 2013

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I have dealt with translation of tourist information in my master thesis 1999.

Hmm... GIYF gets it at the second link on the first page (for me).

Google Translate is less spot on -- "First I want to imagine what work specifically devoted to the topic of the Finnish Tourist information I have found and taken into account." (Zuerst will ich vorstellen, welche speziell dem Thema der finnischen Touristeninfor¬mationen gewidmete Arbeiten ich gefunden und berücksichtigt habe.)

However, I did find the original article quite interesting and more useful than the average blog post on the topic which is often no more than one page long with a single example in it.

[Edited at 2013-11-18 16:30 GMT]

Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:47
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
My favourite Nov 18, 2013

At one time in the Paris airport there was a sign: "Retarded passengers wait here"

(Of course in French retardé means delayed....)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Analysing common mistakes in translations of tourist texts

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search