How to certify on the accuracy of a translation
Thread poster: Catz1987

Catz1987
France
Local time: 22:28
Dec 4, 2013

Hello everybody,

Being that I am concluding my first English(target) translation, I am a bit unclear. I usually end my French translations with something the likes of "Je, soussigné, ..., certifie que la traduction est conforme... etc". I do have an authorization. However, I don't know what the practice is for "to English" documents. Could anyone shed some light? Thanks!

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Off the top of my head... Dec 4, 2013

I, the undersigned, hereby affirm that the contents of document [DOC ID] are a faithfully translated representation of the original text.

(NB: I 'm not actually "certifying"...)

[Edited at 2013-12-04 20:58 GMT]

PS: I don't have any official authorisation or powers.

[Edited at 2013-12-04 21:02 GMT]

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:28
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Affidavit Dec 4, 2013

I find that in the UK what is required is usually an affidavit sworn to and signed in the presence of a solicitor or notary public, e.g.:

I, JACK DOUGHTY of 9 Cawkell Close, Stansted Mountfitchet, Essex, CM24 8JF, SOLEMNLY AND SINCERELY DECLARE as follows:-

1. I am a Member of the Institute of Translations and Interpreting and of the Chartered Institute of Linguists and I hold a Civil Service Interpreter Certificate for Russian.

2. I attach a copy of the [original document], together with my translation from Russian to English (marked “JD1”) carried out on __/__/____, and of the original Russian document (marked “JD2”).

3. I hereby certify that to the best of my knowledge and ability the attached text is a true, complete and accurate translation of the original document from Russian into English.

AND I MAKE THIS SOLEMN DECLARATION conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the Statutory Declarations Act 1835

SWORN at [location]
this XXth day )
of XXXXX 20__ )

Before me, [solicitor’s name]
A Solicitor/Commissioner for Oaths.

[my signature]
[solicitor’s signature]

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Jack Dec 5, 2013

You're mixing up sworn and certified. Certification uses a wording along the lines of Neilmac's suggestion.

Catz1987
France
TOPIC STARTER
I see Dec 5, 2013

Thanks to all of you.

neilmac, I just didn't know whether it was customary to have this text on the English translations at all. Lack of experience, I guess.

Jack, thank you very much. This information seems very useful to me. Who knows when it might come in handy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to certify on the accuracy of a translation

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search