Translating for an appendix: Are translators notes needed?
Thread poster: babylona
babylona
Local time: 23:26
Spanish to English
Dec 21, 2013

I am translating an article which will be included in the appendix of an academic publication.

Is it appropriate to use translator's notes or should I included any explanations in the text itself?

Many thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 00:26
German to English
+ ...
More details Dec 23, 2013

I think you need to be a little more specific here - what is the reason for your translators' notes - comments on errors in the text? (then contact the client) Explaining terminology that does not translate well? (Again, check with the client). Other (???)

babylona
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Translating for an appendix: Are translators notes needed? Dec 23, 2013

I am transating an article for a piece of course work for my translation course.

The article is part of research conducted by British and American academics and will be published in a volume aimed not only at academics but more generally at Anglophones interested in European journalism in general and Spanish in particular, but without any knowledge of the Spanish language.

I hope this helps shed some light on my question.

Thanks

[Edited at 2013-12-23 22:21 GMT]

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Not really Dec 24, 2013

What you don't say is what your translators notes relate to.

Miranda01
United States
Translating for an appendix: Are translators notes needed? Dec 24, 2013

Hi,

I think adding note is not much important in your case, but for a reference you can take a note and when any issues arises in any respect , you can show that note.

Texte Style
French to English
Like David Dec 24, 2013

I really don't see how anyone can tell whether or not you should include notes since we don't know what kind of information you're thinking of including in them.

Trying to guess from what little info we have, maybe these would be notes about aspects of Spanish culture that English speakers may be unaware of but that simply don't need explanation in the original Spanish?

I presume there are notes for the bulk of the text too, where do they come in the publication? before or after the appendix?

Notes to go at the bottom of the page or the end of the entire appendix?

We really need more details if we're to give you a proper answer!

babylona
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Translating for an appendix: Are translators notes needed? Dec 24, 2013

My translator's note relate to cultural specific thinngs which and English reader would not understand.

However, you may have already answered my question: if the appendix is going to feature several articles then it might be wise to inbed the explanation into the text as adding a note at the bottom of the page or at the end of the appendix might cause confusion as there are bound to be tons of notes.

Catherine Howard
United States
Local time: 18:26
Portuguese to English
+ ...
what does professor say? Dec 28, 2013

Since you say this is an exercise for a translation course, your best guide is your professor -- after all, that's the kind of issue a course is designed to teach.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating for an appendix: Are translators notes needed?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search