https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/2624-how_do_i_save_a_glossary_from_a_web_page.html

How do I save a glossary from a web page?
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:26
German to English
May 5, 2002

I just found an excellent German - English glossary on home construction and of course added it to my favorites in IE 6. But over time I\'ve noticed that good links suddenly become dead links and are lost forever. I clicked on File, Save As but when I try to open it the file is Image1.jpg. There is no text visible when I use my jpg reader. I know this is very basic stuff but would appreciate suggestions on how to save html documents. (I guess the... See more
I just found an excellent German - English glossary on home construction and of course added it to my favorites in IE 6. But over time I\'ve noticed that good links suddenly become dead links and are lost forever. I clicked on File, Save As but when I try to open it the file is Image1.jpg. There is no text visible when I use my jpg reader. I know this is very basic stuff but would appreciate suggestions on how to save html documents. (I guess they\'re html documents).

http://www.raumplanung.uni-dortmund.de/rgl/inhdeu.htm
Collapse

Uwe Kirmse
Uwe Kirmse  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:26
Polish to German
+ ...
no right clicking! May 5, 2002

To save it as HTML in IE 6.0 cklick at \"File > save as\", no right clicking on the page. You\'ll have to save each page.

\"Image1.jpg\" is the background of this page, you\'ve saved the background image by right clicking.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-05 18:31 ]

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
copy and paste special May 5, 2002

Hi Kim, I know what you mean by disappearing websites. I often copy vocabularies by copying what I want right from the web page, and then, instead of regular copying and pasting, I make sure I use paste special from the Word or Excel menu, which gets rid of all the codes. Then it\'s easy to create tables in Word, or paste special into Excel, from where you can import it into Trados MultiTerm. Let me know if you need some more explanation if it sounds complicated, which it isn\'t. If I\'m not ... See more
Hi Kim, I know what you mean by disappearing websites. I often copy vocabularies by copying what I want right from the web page, and then, instead of regular copying and pasting, I make sure I use paste special from the Word or Excel menu, which gets rid of all the codes. Then it\'s easy to create tables in Word, or paste special into Excel, from where you can import it into Trados MultiTerm. Let me know if you need some more explanation if it sounds complicated, which it isn\'t. If I\'m not sure if I will need it, I name the Excel spreadsheet and then later do a search via a special database, AskSam.

Best regards,

Marijke
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:26
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Uwe May 5, 2002

Thanks for your advice - it worked fine.

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
The solution. May 6, 2002

Hi,

See

http://www.webreaper.net/

Sven.

Elena Miguel
Elena Miguel  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
another solution May 6, 2002

You can also create a bookmark and open it off-line.

Regards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I save a glossary from a web page?

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »