Is "Translated from the [source language]" used outside of literary translation?
Thread poster: gosia_rehfus

gosia_rehfus
United States
Local time: 04:07
English to Polish
Feb 18, 2014

It is commonly seen that literary texts use the phrase "Translated from the Polish [other language]". Is this a phrase used only with literary translation and would be considered incorrect on any other translated document? If so, what phrase is considered a standard for non-literary translations, a variation without "the", such as "Translated from Polish" or "Translation from Polish"?

Direct link Reply with quote

EvaVer  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:07
Member (2012)
Czech to English
+ ...
Cannot comment on the grammar issue, Feb 19, 2014

as I am not a native English speaker, but it is certainly used on some legal documents. It would look strange on technical documentation, but I wouldn't hesitate to write it on articles to be published, even in technical fields. The fact that the article wasn's originally written in English may be relevant there.

Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:07
Member (2013)
English to Russian
They are different things Feb 19, 2014

I investigated into this problem a couple of years ago and I found that the following two phrases mean different things.

"Translated from English" = "Translated from the English language"
"Translated from the English" = "Translated from the English version of the book (or any other material) in question"

As far as I know, the latter wording is used almost exclusively in literary translation.

[Edited at 2014-02-19 09:59 GMT]

J.Esq
Poland
English to Polish
yes, it's used elsewhere Feb 19, 2014

gosia_rehfus wrote:

It is commonly seen that literary texts use the phrase "Translated from the Polish [other language]". Is this a phrase used only with literary translation and would be considered incorrect on any other translated document? If so, what phrase is considered a standard for non-literary translations, a variation without "the", such as "Translated from Polish" or "Translation from Polish"?

In certified translations from Polish or English, you are required to state which language you translated a given document from. The usual phrase in the header is "Certified translation from the Polish language" or "...from Polish" | "Certified translation from the English language" or "...from English"

Hope it helps.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:07
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Not quite the same thing, but... Feb 20, 2014

I spent a couple of hours today refuting a complaint, and wrote several times

'The Danish says..., which is translated as ...'

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:07
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks, Max! Feb 20, 2014

I had never realized that difference. Thanks for sharing!

I investigated into this problem a couple of years ago and I found that the following two phrases mean different things.

"Translated from the English" = "Translated from the English version of the book (or any other material) in question"

As far as I know, the latter wording is used almost exclusively in literary translation.

[Edited at 2014-02-19 09:59 GMT] [/quote]

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I thought and I still believe that Feb 21, 2014

Max Deryagin wrote:

The English language and English are exactly the same thing.

gosia_rehfus
United States
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
cont. Feb 21, 2014

Thanks, all. I found an old thread on wordreference.com that confirms what Max said and what I also suspected.

*coiffe* explains it best:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=642807

The question remains whether the use of that phrase should be deemed incorrect outside of literary translation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is "Translated from the [source language]" used outside of literary translation?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search