Would I advise my grandchildren to translate? / Dangers of Crowdsourcing Translation
Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:49
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 4, 2014

Two interesting blog posts:

Would I advise my grandchildren to translate? by Victor Dewsbery
http://language-mystery.blogspot.de/2012/03/would-i-advise-my-grandchildren-to.html

and

A post about the hidden dangers of crowdsourced translation by Miguel Llorens:
http://traductor-financiero.blogspot.com/2012/08/what-is-professional-translation.html

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:49
Russian to English
+ ...
The only thing you can advise anybody Mar 5, 2014

is to follow your passion. Translation as a career--it is not really a career per se. It requires top fluency in at least two languages which cannot be attained through school education only, plus a total devotion and love for languages and language in general: in addition a lot of patience and sacrifice.

If it seems like something you may love-- why not--it is one of the greatest professions. Otherwise--in cold, logical terms: I don't think so.

[Edited at 2014-03-05 17:29 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would I advise my grandchildren to translate? / Dangers of Crowdsourcing Translation

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search