Another kind of translation
Thread poster: Ruxi
Ruxi
Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
Nov 18, 2004

I don't know if this is the appropriate forum for this question, but it may be moved.
We were talking in the Romanian forum about a special kind of translation.
It refers more to literary translation and we have a different term for it, but I don't know if it exists in other languages, if you know it.
It is a translation of a text in written form, but adapting the original text in another language, or even explaining it.It is a kind of translation with interpretation of a text.
... See more
I don't know if this is the appropriate forum for this question, but it may be moved.
We were talking in the Romanian forum about a special kind of translation.
It refers more to literary translation and we have a different term for it, but I don't know if it exists in other languages, if you know it.
It is a translation of a text in written form, but adapting the original text in another language, or even explaining it.It is a kind of translation with interpretation of a text.
Now we don't know if our term is a synonim to the term "translation",an elder one, or it is actually a different kind of translation.
Do you know it? Do you have a specific term for it?
I was just looking to the definitions of the different kinds of translation and this one is missing.

Thank you,
Ruxi
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 21:55
German to English
+ ...
transcreation? Nov 18, 2004

I found this definition on the Web:

"Transcreation” refers to the demanding process of adapting sales copy from the language it was written in (the source language) into another (the target language). Contrary to what you might think, you can’t just “translate” copy – a lively, witty headline in English may be a complete turnoff in French. In many ways, transcreation is akin to literary translation – the same search for equivalent idioms and concepts, the same striving t
... See more
I found this definition on the Web:

"Transcreation” refers to the demanding process of adapting sales copy from the language it was written in (the source language) into another (the target language). Contrary to what you might think, you can’t just “translate” copy – a lively, witty headline in English may be a complete turnoff in French. In many ways, transcreation is akin to literary translation – the same search for equivalent idioms and concepts, the same striving to find equivalent registers and resonances – with one significant difference: the result must be capable of selling a brand, product, service or idea powerfully and effectively to the target audience in the target market (culture). "

Is that what you're looking for?
Collapse

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:55
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Maybe adaption Nov 18, 2004

Immediately a German word came into my mind:
Nachdichtung
looked up in Leo
adaption / free adaption

Interesting subject, cause followed some
courses in literary translations a while ago.

Steffi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another kind of translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »