Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Local time: 22:12
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Aug 6, 2014

Hi, I have come across something I think is code, but I am not sure, and I am also not sure whether to translate it or not. It looks like this: %platform%
Is this code? And if it's code, should platform get translated?
Another one is NOINDEX, FOLLOW, which is code, I think, and I *think* it doesn't get translated.

There is no context, really, mostly just single words to translate. I have sent the client a message, but I haven't received an answer yet.

Can a
... See more
Hi, I have come across something I think is code, but I am not sure, and I am also not sure whether to translate it or not. It looks like this: %platform%
Is this code? And if it's code, should platform get translated?
Another one is NOINDEX, FOLLOW, which is code, I think, and I *think* it doesn't get translated.

There is no context, really, mostly just single words to translate. I have sent the client a message, but I haven't received an answer yet.

Can anyone help? The deadline for submitting the job is in three hours!
Thanks!
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:12
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
More context... Aug 6, 2014

%platform% probably shouldn’t be translated; same for NOINDEX.

As regards FOLLOW, it really depends on the context. You really need to ask your customer - there isn’t enough information here for answering with any degree of certainty.

[Edited at 2014-08-06 05:44 GMT]

Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I asked hours ago..... Aug 6, 2014

but still no reply. FOLLOW does often, or sometimes, follow NOINDEX, so I would think the two should be treated the same. But I don't know for sure.
I am thinking now that the words between the % signs are placeholders and should not be translated.
As far as the context, it's a software portal.
Thank you for your response, and I am so glad you agree with me!

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:12
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sure Aug 6, 2014

Elisabeth Maurland wrote:

I am thinking now that the words between the % signs are placeholders and should not be translated.

Sure, they are. They are placeholders of certain variables (in that particular case, it’s probably the operating system: MS Windows, Linux, Mac OS etc.) and any modification will have undesired consequences. As for the rest, well, you should share a sample of the code. Probably, the capitalized words are some sort of commands and must not be translated but it’s just a guess.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:12
Danish to English
+ ...
Metatags Aug 6, 2014

NOFOLLOW, FOLLOW, INDEX, NOINDEX look metatags from html files. The keywords I mentioned are instructions for crawlers like googlebot, telling the crawler how to crawl and index the page.

Such code should not be translated, as translation would render it meaningless to the crawlers.

Anything else that looks like computer code or variables should only be translated if the client provides suitable translations, as you cannot know any possibly localised names of such varia
... See more
NOFOLLOW, FOLLOW, INDEX, NOINDEX look metatags from html files. The keywords I mentioned are instructions for crawlers like googlebot, telling the crawler how to crawl and index the page.

Such code should not be translated, as translation would render it meaningless to the crawlers.

Anything else that looks like computer code or variables should only be translated if the client provides suitable translations, as you cannot know any possibly localised names of such variables on their system.
Collapse

Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 6, 2014

Thank you all for the explanations. There was no other code, just the two I mentioned, so I have submitted it, untranslated, and I know what to do next time.

Elisabeth

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:12
English to Polish
+ ...
... Aug 8, 2014

Anything wrapped in percent signs or preceded by the dollar sign is most likely to be a software variable, which shouldn't and doesn't need to be translated even if it means something in a language.

(I don't think source code ever gets localized to the point of translating meaningful variable/procedure names, but there might be exceptions.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I translate between tags?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »