Use of dictionaries
Thread poster: Nisreen Barakat
Nisreen Barakat  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 05:15
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sep 10, 2014

Do you still use traditional paper dictionaries? I find myself depending on online dictionaries or google and rarely referring to a paper dictionary.

Direct link Reply with quote

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 11:15
Chinese to English
For the classical language Sep 10, 2014

I almost never use paper dictionaries for modern Chinese. They've been scanned and made available on dictionary sites. But I often have to deal with snatches of Classical Chinese, and I still use paper dictionaries for that. The online resources are nothing like as good.

Olena Kozar  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:15
Member (2013)
French to Ukrainian
+ ...
Last time have used paper dictionary when studying between 2000 and 2005 Sep 10, 2014

Great question! Books - yes, I like reading paper books, but dictionaries... I have already forgotten how they look like It is not a question of paper editions as they are but because of very fast changing world and new terms apparition.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 10, 2014

I occasionally consult my Beigbeder technical and Alcaraz legal dictionaries. I don't think they are available online.

[Edited at 2014-09-10 06:50 GMT]

Kalyanasundar subramaniam
India
Local time: 08:45
Tamil to English
+ ...
Use of dictionaries Sep 10, 2014

Of late I seldom use paper dictionaries .There are sufficient on line resources for reference .

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I scanned all my paper dictionaries Sep 10, 2014

Nisreen Barakat wrote:
Do you still use traditional paper dictionaries?

Nope. I still have a few of those, though, but I never use them anymore.

A while ago I decided to go all-electronic and cut up most of my technical dictionaries and scanned them in and OCR'ed them (except for the ones that had electronic editions anyway). The bulk of my scanned dictionaries are out of print anyway. I don't share my scans with anyone, though (unless the dictionary is out of copyright or unless the publisher or author gives permission for that).

I OCR'ed each JPG as TXT and then used the old program Wilbur (from RedTree) to create an index of the pages. If the TXT version is unclear, I can then easily locate the original JPG (or a size-reduced version of it) because it has the same file name and is located in the same folder.

[Edited at 2014-09-10 08:48 GMT]

Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:15
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 10, 2014

I feel more comfortable with my paper dictionaries sitting on the desk - they are like old friends and I wouldn't want to be without them! The Internet is very helpful, and I use it a lot, but there is something reassuring about flicking through the pages of a 'real' dictionary. When I look up a word, I also like to look at the words around it with the same root. This sometimes helps to shed light on the meaning or usage of a word and it isn't always possible with an online dictionary.

David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
French to English
All the time Sep 10, 2014

I use general paper dictionaries all the time. I find that leafing through their pages makes a nice change from staring at a computer screen. Of course, for more specialized work, I only use online resources since it would cost too much to have a mountain of paper dictionaries. Furthermore, I suspect that online resources are more up-to-date.

PS Like Helen, I think of my paper dictionaries as old and trusted friends!

[Edited at 2014-09-10 08:59 GMT]

diananyaug
India
Use of Paper Dictionary Sep 10, 2014

Actually earlier I was using these paper dictionary but now a days I only depend on the google itself or the online dictionary. I guess you people also using these modern tech apart from the old fashion.

Thanks a lot !

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 03:15
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Sep 10, 2014

Helen Hagon wrote:

I feel more comfortable with my paper dictionaries sitting on the desk - they are like old friends and I wouldn't want to be without them! The Internet is very helpful, and I use it a lot, but there is something reassuring about flicking through the pages of a 'real' dictionary. When I look up a word, I also like to look at the words around it with the same root. This sometimes helps to shed light on the meaning or usage of a word and it isn't always possible with an online dictionary.

Couldn't say it better! I'm surrounded by dictionaries and books and I find that both comforting and reassuring...

Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:15
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...

Yes, with love and appreciation Sep 11, 2014

Helen Hagon wrote:

I agree 100%. I even bought a separate bookcase just for these 'friends' of mine. There are a few that are so old (outdated, falling apart) they should be retired, but I simply don't have the heart to toss them. : )

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:15
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
A lot Sep 12, 2014

I use my paper dictionary, even though it's an older edition, and my thesaurus a lot. The latter is especially helpful because with its choice of synonyms it enables me to find just the right word. I also often use often Linguee. This I find helpful because it gives you the term in both languages in different contexts.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use of dictionaries

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search