Style Guide help
Thread poster: translatesimply
translatesimply
Australia
Local time: 13:19
Dec 29, 2014

Hi Guys,

I would like to ask you what you would like to see in a style guide from customers. I want to create a basic form where customers just tick what they want. It should only be for the most requested requirements. The rest they can explain in notes.

For example:
Tone of the content: Informal, Formal
Do not translate: Brand name, User name, URL name, Dates, Times, Currencies, Email adresses
Notes: Any other requirements

What other option would you like to give or see from the customer?

Thank you

Lukas

Direct link Reply with quote

Navarut Y.  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 09:19
Member (2014)
English to Thai
Hope this help! Dec 29, 2014

- Number, Phone number and Address format
- Units of Measurement
- Punctuation Usage

Kalyanasundar subramaniam
India
Local time: 07:49
Tamil to English
+ ...
Style guide help Dec 29, 2014

If there are no proper and familiar equivalents in the translated language for Technical terms (Engineering Medical and Computer related terms ) translating them in to another language or coining new words could lead to confusion . They should be left as such . Similarly Translating a Title (For example Title of a book or a Movie may not some times exactly convey the intended meaning . ) Instead of translating such titles literally ,the intended meaning could be translated and the original title without translation can be mentioned in bracket .

Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:19
French to Spanish
+ ...
Glossary or corporate vocabulary Dec 29, 2014

Hello, this is a good idea.

I would like the client to provide a glossary or at least their corporate vocabulary or style, such as: "We never call the customer a customer but (whatever); we always use the word X instead of Y."

You may ask them:

Do you have a glossary or a style guide? YES NO
If yes, please attach/copy-paste it.

I hope it helps.

Greetings.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Style Guide help

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search