Help with research regarding crowdsourced text/subtitles translation
Thread poster: gawronizm
gawronizm
Poland
Mar 29, 2015

Hello, lately I have been occupied with the topic of crowdsourcing in translations. Actually, I'm a 4th year student about to write my MA thesis in translation studies. I have a few problems and questions which I don't know whom to ask about really. For starters, I am not sure whether or not I have tackled a too ambitious topic. Theoretically speaking, crowdsourcing would have its roots in machine translations and this sort of stuff from which I could build up the theoretical part. However, I am not sure at all as to how to approach the empirical/research problem. As far as the material is concerned, I was thinking about taking the TED subtitles, which are translated by a crowd, and perhaps compare them or analize them in some way. The other option is submitting a certain piece of text to a crowdsourcing service like Duolingo and work on that. However, I am not exactly sure what I can compare or analize. I am looking for any suggestions or resources which could help me in narrowing the topic. I have skimmed through a few translation journals + google and not much is being written about crowdsourced translations so my question is: Do you know where I could find something inspiring? Any research papers would be great. I guess it is all for now, thank you for your time and answers.

Direct link Reply with quote

Laura Messer  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2014)
Spanish to English
literature Mar 30, 2015

I tried doing some Googling to see if I could come across any books talking about this. I did find some short discussions of this in some book results and was able to track down a couple of links to research/abstracts. Hope this helps at this stage of your process (in case you didn't already find these).

http://www.jostrans.org/issue06/art_diaz_munoz.php

http://llc.oxfordjournals.org/content/27/2/119.abstract

http://jis.sagepub.com/content/38/2/189.short?rss=1&ssource=mfr

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with research regarding crowdsourced text/subtitles translation

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search