Off topic: "Emotional intelligence" - a new test for freelancers!
Thread poster: Fiona Grace Peterson

Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:47
Italian to English
Jun 1, 2015

Has anyone else received this email?

"Dear freelancer,
We are happy to inform you that you have been selected to proceed to the next stage of the selection procedure: the EQ test (Emotional Inteligence). After successfuly passing this test you will receive a brief sample text for translation before a potential skype interview.
Please follow the link below to the short EQ test. We hope you will find it entertaining.
Please be advised that we will mainly consider freelancers that have submitted the test within 48 hours of receipt, as responsiveness is one of the crucial criteria for selection."

I wonder what Emotional Inteligence (sic) consists of? Thanks to the impersonal greeting and at least three spelling mistakes, this particular message made it on to the fast track to my trash folder.

And it begs the question... whatever will "agencies" come up with next?

Thank you, translation agency who shall remain nameless. I needed a good laugh today.

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wonder Jun 1, 2015

Wonder no more, ask for it and find out what it is about!

Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Link Jun 1, 2015

I clicked on the link. Ridiculous. Not sure whether someone has too much time on their hands, or if they think they're being more "inteligent" (sic) than the average agency... what's patently clear is that identifying whether a particular face is expressing "happiness", "flirtatiousness", "interest" or "politeness" (yes, really) has nothing whatsoever to do with translating!!

And given that they have no idea how to select translators, it doesn't really bode well for the rest of the management process.

Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:47
French to English
+ ...
Bizarre Jun 1, 2015

Next they'll be asking for our star signs and a paragraph on which character from Sex and the City we most identify with.

Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
So strange Jun 1, 2015

That is so, so strange.

Sounds like they've lost their minds.

Carole Wolfe  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:47
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
Ploy Jun 1, 2015

It sounds like a scheme to get some translations done for free. Their setting that time limit of 48
hours make me suspicious.

Jacek Sierakowski
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
What else is new? :-) Jun 2, 2015

interpretwhisky wrote:

That is so, so strange.

Sounds like they've lost their minds.

sschill
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I got the same mail Jun 2, 2015

So, I got the same mail about an EQ test. I agree, what's the point it is completely irrelevant to translation. I have never heard of such a thing in my 17 years as a freelancer. The mail is now going into the trash.

Juliaq
Netherlands
I really am curious to know what they were thinking Jun 4, 2015

I received this request, and it was just so strange that I am still wondering... why.

Sensitivity to facial expressions really does not seem related to translating or writing in general. Maybe for recruiting actors. If the company is interested in translators who are good at translating emotional texts, why not give a suitable literary selection as a translation test piece?

Interestingly, I noticed that not all the responses to the questions were emotions, such as "politeness" or "flirtatiousness".

It was a little insulting that the email indicates "Please be advised that we will mainly consider freelancers that have submitted the test within 48 hours of receipt, as responsiveness is one of the crucial criteria for selection." How soon I am available to do tests is not indicative of my responsiveness or reliability, but of my workload, as I must give priority to client requests rather than test requests.

It is just too unbelievable that a company would include this in their selection process for translators.

It crossed my mind that maybe they are actually doing a research study on the sensitivity of transators to facial expression. Could it be?

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Or... Jun 4, 2015

Juliaq wrote:

It crossed my mind that maybe they are actually doing a research study on the sensitivity of transators to facial expression.

Or on the responsiveness of translators to silly requests.

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
Pilot license test Jun 4, 2015

Well the next one is that we will have to pass pilot license test. Upon successfully passing the test, we will be honored to receive their projects at $0.02 per word.

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
This is why we need a like button Jun 4, 2015

Lingua 5B wrote:

Well the next one is that we will have to pass pilot license test. Upon successfully passing the test, we will be honored to receive their projects at $0.02 per word.

Arturo Delgado  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:47
English to Spanish
How About This Reply? Jun 12, 2015

Dear (type name of your agency here),
As I was preparing psychologically to take your emotional intelligence test, I became very depressed.
The fact that I don't know who and where you are intensified my depression.
Should you write again including verifiable contact information -within 24 hours-, I would certainly feel more emotionally stable and intelligent so as to reconsider taking your test.

Texte Style
French to English
inteligent Arturo! Jun 12, 2015

I think you just roundly failed that test!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Emotional intelligence" - a new test for freelancers!

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search