Thread poster: Adisa Ejubović

Adisa Ejubović
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 10:57
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Aug 27, 2015

Hi everyone,

I am a certified court interpreter and I was just wondering if it's a common thing for translators who have their own stamps to translate their own documents for visa purposes, Master's applications, etc. I am supposed to apply for an international Maste's degree program and need to send certified translations of my diploma, transcripts, ets. Is it okay that I just do that or is there some unwritten rule that says it's better to have your colleague stamp your documents for you? Thank you for your answers, they will really mean a lot!

Direct link Reply with quote

Joseph Tein  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:57
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Probably best to have someone else do it Aug 27, 2015

You should ask, specifically, the entity that will be receiving the information whether they will accept something that you've translated yourself. I would guess that they will want it translated (or certified ) by someone else, an objective professional, to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest, where an interpreter might be tempted to submit false information for their own benefit.

Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Russian
+ ...
It depends Aug 28, 2015

In my own experience, some countries explicitly forbid it, some explicitly allow you to translate your own documents even if you are not a professional translator, and some have no rules regarding that.

Adisa Ejubović
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Bosnian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Aug 28, 2015

Thank you guys for your answers! I will definitely then have to ask each institution that I'm sending the applications to.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can a Court Interpreter translate documents for their personal purposes

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search