hi searching for good auto translation tool
Thread poster: jone

jone
English
Feb 3, 2005

Sorry for my english
When i translate my application from US to UK English I often find difficult. And I am fed up with manual translation can anyone from you has used a translation tool to translate your data to these languages. Please help me.

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:08
English to French
+ ...
try to switch the langage settings in Word : English UK or English US Feb 3, 2005

I'm not sure to understand your question.
If it's a matter of spelling you can switch from English UK to English US in MS Word ; it will change some spelling choices : "colour" becomes "color" for instance.
For different choices of words (like "CV" or "resumé") I'm afraid you have to make the change yourself.

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:08
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Harder than it seems Feb 4, 2005

I'm not sure I understand your question either.

The previous answer had good advice about spelling. But there's much more to translating US English to UK English than spelling. I have been doing quite a lot recently, and many other aspects come into it - vocabulary, punctuation, terminology, cultural stumbling-blocks, slang, saying, special expressions, words that are fine in one language but obscene in the other.

Sometimes it's very minor things - when Americans give an address, they usually end up with a zip code and 2-letter state abbreviation - they leave out "USA". Sometimes it's major - words with very different meanings.

Basically therefore, there is not, and cannot be, a good translation tool from US English to UK English. That is my hap'orth, I mean my 2 cents worth.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

hi searching for good auto translation tool

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search