Which Glossary Builder?
Thread poster: Hugo Lopes
Hugo Lopes
Portugal
Local time: 13:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 14, 2005

I'm looking for a glossary builder. I tried Fusion. It seems great but its too expensive. I just can't afford it at the moment. Any cheaper alternatives?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
Fusion, when on sale -- Excel in the meantime Feb 14, 2005

Hugo Lopes wrote:

I'm looking for a glossary builder. I tried Fusion. It seems great but its too expensive. I just can't afford it at the moment. Any cheaper alternatives?

Wait for a promotion sale, then. I got all my CAT tools when they were on sale. I saved $300 here, $400 there, etc.

I've got SDLX, Trados, Fusion and Wordfast. Fusion is clearly the best for glossary building. Wordfast is much cheaper, and there's a wonderful users community, but it's a lot of work compared to Fusion.

If you have Excel, you can build glossaries with it and eventually import them into CAT tools when you can afford them. I'm not an expert on Excel but there are lots of things you can do with it.

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 2005-02-14 04:01]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How is Fusion easier? Feb 14, 2005

Esther Pfeffer wrote:
I've got SDLX, Trados, Fusion and Wordfast. Fusion is clearly the best for glossary building. Wordfast is much cheaper, and there's a wonderful users community, but it's a lot of work compared to Fusion.

Please tell us how Fusion is good for glossary building? I don't have Fusion, but I do have Wordfast (and Excel of course). How does glossary building work in Fusion?

Thanks!

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
Building Dictionaries in Fusion Feb 14, 2005

Samuel Murray-Smit wrote:

Please tell us how Fusion is good for glossary building? I don't have Fusion, but I do have Wordfast (and Excel of course). How does glossary building work in Fusion?

Thanks!

Hi Samuel --

I'll try to answer your question, but please bear with me. I'm not a fulltime user of Wordfast and this means I'm not fluent in all the great feats that can be accomplished with Wordfast in combination with PlusTools. However, the point here is that no such fulltime commitment and advanced expertise is necessary to build Fusion dictionaries.

There are two ways to get a Fusion dictionary.

The first is to extract terminology from a TM or from open Word documents. Then you generate potential dictionary entries and you select the ones you want in your dictionary, all with very simple commands. You have to try it to see how easy it is. Then you can export your dictionary as a delimited text file and use it elsewhere.

You can also add dictionary items on the fly in Fusion Companion, in a way similar to what you would do in Wordfast.

You can try it for 30 days and see for yourself.

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 2005-02-14 22:53]

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
There is Heatsome Dictionary Editor too Feb 14, 2005

See http://heartsome.net

It appeared in January this year. The first tool that I know of to support the TBX format. (See http://lisa.org/tbx/)

Heartsome has CAT tools too.

Sorry if it sounds like an advertisement. I have no interest in the company at all. I intend to try their Dictionary editor, because it seems to have at least one feature absent from other tools of this kind.

Regards,

Piotr

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
On Mac and Linux too Feb 15, 2005

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

See http://heartsome.net

It appeared in January this year. The first tool that I know of to support the TBX format. (See http://lisa.org/tbx/)

Heartsome has CAT tools too.

Sorry if it sounds like an advertisement. I have no interest in the company at all. I intend to try their Dictionary editor, because it seems to have at least one feature absent from other tools of this kind.

Regards,

Piotr

Thank you very much, Piotr. It looks very interesting, and I certainly love the idea of being able to work on my Mac. I'll try the whole suite as soon as I have a few hours to spare.

Since it's very cheap, Hugo should try the dictionary component -- you can download an evaluation copy.

Best,
Esther

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
Fusion is a very good solution Feb 16, 2005

Hi! it is easy to learn, visual and transparent. Three good reasons and no top expertise is needed to build glossary using Fusion, you can watch it happening and you can actually see what has been done (Transparent), additionally you can be selective, after building the glossary.
Rgds, Brandis

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How accurate does Fusion guess at glossary pairs? Feb 17, 2005

Esther Pfeffer wrote:
The first is to extract terminology from a TM or from open Word documents. Then you generate potential dictionary entries and you select the ones you want in your dictionary, all with very simple commands.

It sounds like Fusion examines the source and target segments in the TM and attempts to match source and target terms which may be translations of each other. Am I right?

WF does not have this feature (the manual does hint at the fact that it does, although I've never been able to make it work... perhaps it only works on very large documents). PT can, however, extract a list of commonly used terms or phrases from the document or documents, which can be used to build a glossary. You have to translate each entry manually, though.

Hugo Lopes
Portugal
Local time: 13:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Stand alone glossary builder Feb 17, 2005

Thanks for all the input. Fusion is out of the question, because:
a) Too expensive
b) I don't use TMs
Many of the documents I'm given are printed in paper, so TMs are useless for me. What I need is a program that is independent of any TM. A simple database will do. I keep glossaries in Excel, but they are getting to big to be easy to handle. Excel just isn't designed to handle large glossaries, I believe.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:38
German to English
+ ...
You don't have to use the TM feature to use WordFast for glossaries Feb 17, 2005

I don't think you need to use TMs to use WordFast for glossaries. You can import text files with your terms separated by tabs into WF glossaries, then open the tool to check for terms, etc. Adding terms is really easy, too. I use WF glossaries all the time and I like this feature a lot.

If Glossy is still on the market, you might want to check that out, too.

Manuel Rodriguez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:38
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Excel glossaries Feb 22, 2005

Hello all:

I'm new to Excel and want to know how to build my glossary in it. Is there a link that could guide me step by step?

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Glossary Builder?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search