https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/293872-misspelt_names_in_bmd_certificates.html

Misspelt names in BMD certificates
Thread poster: Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 28, 2015

Dear all,

I often translate BMD certificates for France and Spain, and often the names and/or addresses of the English subjects are misspelled. I know this because it is either obvious (e.g. BIRMUHGHAM) or because I have other documents confirming the correct spelling.

What do you do in cases like this? If a simple word is misspelled, then I of course correct it. But these are proper nouns, and although I know them to be misspelled, is it "going beyond" the role of the
... See more
Dear all,

I often translate BMD certificates for France and Spain, and often the names and/or addresses of the English subjects are misspelled. I know this because it is either obvious (e.g. BIRMUHGHAM) or because I have other documents confirming the correct spelling.

What do you do in cases like this? If a simple word is misspelled, then I of course correct it. But these are proper nouns, and although I know them to be misspelled, is it "going beyond" the role of the translator to correct them? Could this (in theory!) be a first stage on a slippery slope to some sort of fraud ("Dear translator, I know the name on the birth certificate says SMITH, but it should actually be JONES....")?

If it is a certified translation, then I would replicate the misspelling and include a note. But the job that has prompted this post today is a simple "for information" translation.

Any thoughts?
Collapse

Enrico Zoffoli
Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:50
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
This is what I normally do Oct 28, 2015

When I notice this sort of misspelling (which, alas, happens to me quite often), I first check whether in the remainder of the document proper nouns are spelled correctly, i.e. spelled as I think they should be. If I do find the correct spelling, I simply correct the typo (but still point this out in my notes to the client). Otherwise I ask the client. Typically clients confirm my suspicions and instruct me to correct proper nouns accordingly. If for some reason the client cannot or does not pro... See more
When I notice this sort of misspelling (which, alas, happens to me quite often), I first check whether in the remainder of the document proper nouns are spelled correctly, i.e. spelled as I think they should be. If I do find the correct spelling, I simply correct the typo (but still point this out in my notes to the client). Otherwise I ask the client. Typically clients confirm my suspicions and instruct me to correct proper nouns accordingly. If for some reason the client cannot or does not provide instructions, I keep the misspelling in the target document but clearly point out in a note that I am most likely replicating an error.

[Edited at 2015-10-28 12:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-10-28 12:31 GMT]
Collapse

Enrico Zoffoli
Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:50
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
This is what I normally do Oct 28, 2015

When I notice this sort of misspelling (which, alas, happens to me quite often), I first check whether in the remainder of the document proper nouns are spelled correctly, i.e. spelled as I think they should be. If I do find the correct spelling, I simply correct the typo (but still point this out in my notes to the client). Otherwise I ask the client. Typically clients confirm my suspicions and instruct me to correct proper nouns accordingly. If for some reason the client cannot or does not pro... See more
When I notice this sort of misspelling (which, alas, happens to me quite often), I first check whether in the remainder of the document proper nouns are spelled correctly, i.e. spelled as I think they should be. If I do find the correct spelling, I simply correct the typo (but still point this out in my notes to the client). Otherwise I ask the client. Typically clients confirm my suspicions and instruct me to correct proper nouns accordingly. If for some reason the client cannot or does not provide instructions, I keep the misspelling in the target document but clearly point out in a note that I am most likely replicating an error.

[Edited at 2015-10-28 12:31 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Misspelt names in BMD certificates

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »