Editing a magazine
Thread poster: Olga-Translator
Olga-Translator  Identity Verified

English to Russian
Feb 18, 2005

Hello!

I would like to ask a question to those who have some experience in editing magazines. Recently I have been offered to edit several magazines. I will have to buy the magazines to be edited. Besides, I have to provide him with the information on how I will complete thi editing, i.e., I think, to describe the process of editing.
Should I re-type articles with all the corrections made?
Should I write any kind of a report on what I did?
Is it a common practice to buy the documents to be edited?
Please, give me a hint, I need a piece of advice. Thanks very much in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:43
German to English
It's too late Feb 18, 2005

From your description, the magazine has already gone to press and is available for sale. It's too late for editing. They should have thought of this before it went to press.

>Is it a common practice to buy the documents to be edited?

Absolutely not. The client has to supply all documents for translation and editing at his/her own expense.

Does the client perhaps mean that you should summarize or abstract all articles in the publication? I can see some purpose behind this, but again, the client should supply you with the material.

If they want you to provide a sample of how you might have edited an article differently, they should provide you with the text.

You're going to need more clarification from the client.
Kevin

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:43
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Why should you buy the magazines? Feb 18, 2005

They should provide them! If you DO have to buy them, then you should add that cost to the bill.
In any event, I'm not sure I see the point of editing a magazine AFTER it's in print.
Catherine

PS: Kevin and I obviously posted at the same time! I agree fully with what he says. There's something strange about editing a magazine that's already being sold at newsstands!

[Edited at 2005-02-18 16:01]

English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Kevin! Feb 18, 2005

Kevin Fulton wrote:

From your description, the magazine has already gone to press and is available for sale. It's too late for editing. They should have thought of this before it went to press.

>Is it a common practice to buy the documents to be edited?

Absolutely not. The client has to supply all documents for translation and editing at his/her own expense.

Does the client perhaps mean that you should summarize or abstract all articles in the publication? I can see some purpose behind this, but again, the client should supply you with the material.

If they want you to provide a sample of how you might have edited an article differently, they should provide you with the text.

You're going to need more clarification from the client.
Kevin

Thank you very much, Kevin!
You are right, I will certainly get in touch with the client and ask for further clarification.

English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
All the costs... Feb 18, 2005

cbolton wrote:

They should provide them! If you DO have to buy them, then you should add that cost to the bill.
In any event, I'm not sure I see the point of editing a magazine AFTER it's in print.
Catherine

PS: Kevin and I obviously posted at the same time! I agree fully with what he says. There's something strange about editing a magazine that's already being sold at newsstands!

[Edited at 2005-02-18 16:01]

All the costs for buying the magazines will be refunded to me, as my client says.
I can also see no point of editing magazines already released to press. However, the client spoke of some kind of a translation critique (is it the same as editing?).

Well, I am confused about how I am supposed to fulfill such a job.

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
Quality assurance Feb 19, 2005

Hi Olga,

I can also see no point of editing magazines already released to press. However, the client spoke of some kind of a translation critique (is it the same as editing?).

As you and other colleagues have rightly put already, the job you mention is not editing, but rather quality assessment and assurance. I gather that you are expected to compare the original articles with their Russian translations in terms of accuracy, style, register, or to see whether the terminology is correct, for instance, if they are scientific journals, or to make an assessment as to how successful the adaptation is, in case of popular magazines, etc.

I think you are supposed to provide a concise report on each piece of writing, and/or on the general level of success of each magazine. But better to clarify all the relevant details with the outsourcer beforehand. This type of jobs are charged by the hour, to my knowledge.

Nice job Wishing you the best of luck!

Özden

[Edited at 2005-02-19 15:51]

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
post-press improvement Feb 19, 2005

I've written for, peer-reviewed, edited for several magazines, newsletters, conference technical/scientific committees, and books over the past 10 years (MLC&T, IJLD, LI, LISA newsletter, ELSnews, Technical Communicators (TC) Forum, ELRA newletter, JPCL, LREC, AMTA, CLAW, NAACL, TAUS, John Benjamins, etc) and am still on a few editorial boards.
The full list at: http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/puboutlets.htm

* All reviews of articles are conducted before the issue / proceedings go to press.
* I have never paid for the issues, neither for the draft copies, nor the published copies. (Note: the number of complimentary copies I receive depends on the publisher, but I always receive at least one free published copy).
* Any articles that I have rejected or accepted on a provisional basis have been provided with carefully documented reasons (technical accuracy, insufficient informational, inappropriate marketing wording that conflicts with existing usage, etc)

In cases where I have become part of an editorial board for a period of time, I asked for copies of back issues of the magazine (up to several years) to have a good idea of the quality and type of content that is published. This is "post-press review" to help for future publishing improvement. forI have never paid for any such previous published issues.

It sounds to me that the magazine publisher that is soliciting your assistance needs to carefully explain the conditions of their need for your help.
In my experience, I've only had one case where I stopped writing/reviewing for the publisher. The owner of the publication changed hands, and the new owner had very poor quality publishing processes.

You can contact me offline through my profile for advice as well.

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/localization.htm

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing a magazine

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search